PDA

View Full Version : Natural or artificial tree?

Moley
06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I can understand the idea of having the same potted living tree each year (at least until it grows too big!) but I inwardly groan when I see all the trees cut down before they're fully grown, even though some of my foresting relatives describe them as ******* weeds. But then again, plastic trees, though they may last longer, use up valuable resources. So what is the most ethical tree to have?

Hutton
06-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Both. Indoors we have a artificial christmas tree. You can't buy natural christmas trees to have indoors in Britain, it's considered unethical and a waste of trees. It's artificial for everyone, there's nowhere that sells natural trees for indoors.

But I also have a planted christmas tree outside that I planted when I was a little kid and it's still alive and growing :)

SilverBells
06-25-2010, 01:45 AM
It's artificial for me. Although nothing compares to the smell and beauty of a real tree it doesn't agree with me, the idea, of chopping one down only for a few days and then throwing it away.:christmastree::tree1::christmastree:

Elf_Erv
06-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Real trees are messy and I hate to seem them killed just for a few weeks of enjoyment. On the other hand they are grown just for that purpose, people make a living raising them, and there is the tradition of a live tree.

We have always used artificial trees, less mess, no hauling and disposing involved, our cats, and less of a fire hazard.

Artificial trees do require resources to produce but they can last many, many years. We have given old artificial trees to others via Freecycle before so they can go on being useful

ornamentmaven
06-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Agree witH Elf Erv. Once I switched to artificial I stayed

Merry Christmas Darling
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Christmas trees are like crops. When they harvest them, they are planting ones to replace those that are cut down.

dees473
06-26-2010, 02:54 AM
I decided to go artificial this year. I just bought a new tree and can't wait to put it up!:tree1:

SilverBells
06-26-2010, 04:23 AM
I decided to go artificial this year. I just bought a new tree and can't wait to put it up!:tree1:

What kind of tree?:christmastree: How tall is it?:tree1: Where did you buy it from?:rudolph: (Enquiring minds want to know :))

MissSantaClaus
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Always have a real tree. A Nordmann fir. We pay ca 28-35 Euros for a 3 meter tree.

dees473
06-28-2010, 10:05 PM
What kind of tree?:christmastree: How tall is it?:tree1: Where did you buy it from?:rudolph: (Enquiring minds want to know :))

I bought the 7.5' noble tree. It is perfect for me. I have open it up and the branches are sturdy enough for the bigger ornaments.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/TruTip-Artificial-Christmas-Trees/Noble-Fir-Tree.htm
:christmastree:

MissSantaClaus
06-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I bought the 7.5' noble tree. It is perfect for me. I have open it up and the branches are sturdy enough for the bigger ornaments.
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/TruTip-Artificial-Christmas-Trees/Noble-Fir-Tree.htm
:christmastree:

Great tree but very expensive.

jayden28
07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
artificial for me,we brought a new 8ft one in the january sales here in the uk from £100 to £40 si it was a decent deal.

MissSantaClaus
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
I wonder why so many people have a fake tree ?

HollyJolly
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, I think artificial are just easier...you can put them up earlier, you don't have to worry about watering them, they don't shed (a lot) and you can do more with it, I think. Also, you can spend as much as you want on an artificial tree, but you can use it for years and years, if you want...better value and just plain easier....:christmastree:

Christmas Hampers
07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
My wife has bought us an artificial tree, made with organic "leaves" and recycled stem.

It is such a talking point, and has featured in our hamper (http://www.huntervalleyhampers.com.au/) promotions.

Mary Angeldog
07-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Years ago when my husband and I began working different shifts it became very difficult to find enough time to select a tree and decorate it together. Since I am the main "Christmas Elf" we decided an artificial tree would let me get started on things when I could without help. We purchased a beautiful 6 ft blue spruce which we still use on a small table in our living room. We have since added a 7 ft slimline pine for our foyer, and a 2 ft blue spruce "seedling" for the guest bedroom. Last year I found a 4 ft half tree that can be hung on a wall(not one of those upside down ones!) I'm going to hang it above my small lighted village on the credenza at the end of our upstairs hall. I couldn't possibly afford that many real trees every year. Artificial trees let me indulge myself in a tree decorating frenzy--which I look forward to all year!

ornamentmaven
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
There always seems to be a reason for switching to artificial! About ten or twelve years ago. my husband needed surgery right before Christmas. We relutantly decided to buy an artificial as he was under doctor's orders not to lift and I couldn't do a big tree on my own. Well we've gone artificial ever since for the reasons listed above - especially the fact that it holds those heavy ornaments better!

SilverBells
07-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Even if I wanted a real tree, :christmastree: they don't come out for sale before December and I can't wait that long to decorate my tree.:elf1:

dees473
07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
That is the exact same reason I bought an artificial tree as well. Plus I got sick of the mess and the tangled lights!

kam1187
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Wow, alot of animosity towards having a real tree haha (just kidding!) We ALWAYS have a real tree! I completely understand why people would prefer a fake tree, but nothing compares to the smell of a real one! We always go and take our time picking out just the right tree. We go to the same place every year that sells precut tree. My boyfriend and I usually spend about $50 and get a 6-7ft tree. This year it might be taller-we moved and have 10 ft ceilings now ;)

SilverBells
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, alot of animosity towards having a real tree haha (just kidding!) We ALWAYS have a real tree!... This year it might be taller-we moved and have 10 ft ceilings now ;)

A valid reason to move :) :elf3::elf3::elf3:

Camby
07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
We love a real tree and always go to Hamsterley Forest run by the Forestry Commission so we know its sustainable as they replant new trees. :christmastree:

SilverBells
07-31-2010, 03:27 PM
The ones that are sold in a pot are a neat idea too. You can plant them after Christmas and feel good about it.:christmastree::christmastree::christmastree:

stephmcuk
08-01-2010, 06:30 AM
we have never had a real tree....but me and oh have made a pact and we are gonna get one this year....cannot wait to see what a real one looks like in our house.

SilverBells
08-02-2010, 03:50 AM
...or how wonderful it smells :tree1:

dees473
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
A lot of the artificial trees now have a 10 yr warranty!

Well, I think artificial are just easier...you can put them up earlier, you don't have to worry about watering them, they don't shed (a lot) and you can do more with it, I think. Also, you can spend as much as you want on an artificial tree, but you can use it for years and years, if you want...better value and just plain easier....:christmastree:

Emilia
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Real christmas tree of course. :christmastree:
We had some years ago a artificial tree, but... :)

ornamentmaven
10-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Totally agree with Dees473. I've used an artificial tree for the last 10 years or so. Prior to that, I swore by real trees as that is all I had for my first 44 Christmases! In addition to it being more economical, cleaner, easier and care free; artificial trees generally have stronger branches and can hold more ornaments. Real trees smell great but they tend to change shape (branches sag) over time.

Donna-50
10-27-2010, 06:32 AM
I have had a artificial tree since 1998 because they started getting really expensive here and couldn't see spending $80 or $90 for a tree that would get thrown away. I did purchase a real a few years ago because now the prices are $40 or $50. Love real tree's but my daughter can't stand the smell.

The only thing that I don't like abut pre-lit tree's are they are so heavy and I usually need help getting it out of the garage or have to take it out of the box in sections. I had a beautiful artificial that I gave away before I purchased another and really sorry that I did.

domoMKIV
11-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Pre-2008 we used real trees. We moved to FL and decided to go artificial once we came up on a fantastic deal @ Lowe's for a 9' tree. It was a $200 tree on clearance for $50, we HAD to. I miss the smell but this is FL, I don't enjoy buying real trees from a parking lot tent.

jeremy m
11-27-2010, 09:48 AM
i use a fake tree..

real trees are messy,and too much for me to handle such as water it,clean it after it..etc and dangerious from lights that starts a fire and so on.....(i am not that allergic to them though but my family is.

we had a real tree back in the 80s till 1984,1985 is when we first bought our very first fake tree and had a fake one since then.

MissSantaClaus
11-27-2010, 06:28 PM
In our garden center you can already buy real Christmas trees.

ornamentmaven
11-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Many places have real trees for sale now

Elf_Erv
11-28-2010, 05:40 AM
seen two stores in town with live trees, got to smell some up close, very nice :tree1:

soreal35
11-28-2010, 12:38 PM
artificial

angelpugs2
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
artifical as you can spray them with scented pine or balsam.:tree1::tree:

SilverBells
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Haven't seen any real trees for sale yet. But I use artificial anyway :christmastree:

ChristmasKatie
11-29-2010, 12:44 AM
artificial for me, it's the same one we've had for years, and it has so many memories :) plus, the animals would destroy a real one in my house.

ChantelleJoy
11-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Why not one of each???

Growing up I never had a real tree, because my mom is allergic, but I moved out on my own i got a real tree for the first time. I've gone back and forth since then (and got a great deal on a artificial tree at a flea market a few years ago, a 6 foot-er for $10!) but this year I'll be decorating that one for my bedroom and getting a real tree for the living room! :)

Best of both worlds!
:merrychristmas:

ornamentmaven
11-29-2010, 06:37 AM
I had a real tree until I was in my 40's. We got an artificial the year my husband had surgery and couldn't lift anything. We've stayed with artificial as it was so much easier

MissSantaClaus
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I think in ca 2 weeks we can buy our real tree : ). But first put them up one day before Christmas.