PDA

View Full Version : How do you save for Christmas?

kam1187
05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Good Morning everyone!
I recently joined this site and LOVE it! My question to everyone is: How do you save up the money for Christmas? How much do you usually spend? The past few years Ive paid with a combination of cash/credit, but this year Im going to try and have a CASH only Christmas! I have been stashing away about $20/wk in a 'christmas envelope' in my safe. I figure this year I will have about $700 max for gifts and what not. The people I have to buy for are:
Mom
Dad
3 younger siblings (ages 20, 18, and 16)
boyfriend of 4 years
2 cats 1 dog
my boyfriends family also does a 'grab gift' of $25 max.

How do you save money? Feel free to share your tips!

Only 7 and a half months til Christmas!!!:christmastree:

Katie

ornamentmaven
05-07-2010, 04:25 AM
For years I did a $20 a week Christmas club at the bank. That gave me a thousand dollars for Christmas at a time when I was spending about $2000 for approx 32 people. Now we have stopped buying gifts for nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters (and spouses), and work. Now I just buy for Mom, Mom-in-law, husband and two daughters!

I buy gifts throughout the year as I see them. Don't use credit cards at all anymore!

Elf_Erv
05-25-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't specifically save for Christmas though I put money into a savings account each month, come November or so if I need some cash its there....waiting for me to spend.

When I was a kid I recall my parents having whats called a Christmas Club account, the bank would take out a specific amount each week from their paycheck deposit and put in a special account for Christmas. In November the bank would send you a check for the amount that was in that account. It worked for me I got some great presents!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Javern/Christmas/stucksanta.gif

NCD
06-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I do similar - we have a seperate Christmas account that I send money over to each month.
If I see anything throughout the year I can pick it up with money thats already there.

:presents3:

SilverBells
06-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I start saving up a few months before Christmas. :christmastree: Last year I spent around 850 Euros. I never use credit cards.:santa1:

MissSantaClaus
06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Last year i spent around 200 - 300 €. I do not buy a lot of clothes for me or something else. So i have enough money for buying Christmas presents.

olga
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
How do you save money?

Katie

I have never heard of the word SAVE.... :candycane1::candycane1:

dees473
06-26-2010, 02:43 AM
I actually save all the dollar bills I get back from change when I make a purchase. You would be surprised how much it will add up to. I also buy things throughout the year that I know would be a great small gift or stocking stuffer.

Christmas Hampers
07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
We make regular deposits into our "special" account so we always have some cash laying around. But yeah, it is always a stretch.

SilverBells
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
I think I'll have a hard time saving money this year so I already started Christmas shopping a little bit. You know one Christmas present at a time.:presents3:

olga
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Im not a huge fan of saving money :elf1:, but, I think, will start saving some, after my summer vacations..

:merrychristmas:

HollyJolly
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Well I think saving money is great, but it is so HARD to do! It seems like whenever you get a decent amount set aside, something comes and takes it! I do have a Christmas Club account with the bank that I try to set aside a little each month, but that usually isn't enough.

But I have been inspired, for the next 4 months, I am going to try to save, save, save! :elf3:

JessLynn
07-23-2010, 06:57 AM
In the last couple of years I have really cut back on how much I spend and how many people I buy for. Christmas used to be around $2500 for about 18 people, now it's closer to $700 for about 10 people.

Snowden
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't save for Christmas (but I don't have little ones, either). Nor do I go into debt for Christmas (then again, having no kids is different). We have alot of people to buy for, so I shop yearround, here and there for reasonably priced personal gifts for each. We are fortunate to have great thrift shops in the area. Everyone seems to enjoy the big gathering without the high price tag. Admittedly, who needs more stuff anyway? Homemade Food Items is a favorite gift in my family...

SilverBells
07-23-2010, 02:35 PM
:presents1:I buy Christmas presents for only my husband and kids, my parents and my sister's family. :presents3: That's only 8 people. And for my parents it's more symbolical. They don't really need something. For my family though, I go a little out of the way :presents2:. I love to suprise and please them so much. :yahoo:

Snowden
07-24-2010, 09:57 AM
We have a few small nieces and nephews, whom I take out to shop for presents. So the pennies, nickels and dimes we collect all year in a jar is their shopping fund,and the best part for me- they also get to count and stack the change too (it keeps them busy on thanksgiving).

SilverBells
07-27-2010, 12:03 AM
We have a few small nieces and nephews, whom I take out to shop for presents. So the pennies, nickels and dimes we collect all year in a jar is their shopping fund,and the best part for me- they also get to count and stack the change too (it keeps them busy on thanksgiving).

That is such a smart idea.:elf3: I bet they love it.:yahoo:

justinsophie10
07-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Lots of offers are available in market in the Christmas season so, it's all depends you what you need. If i need cash i will go for that deal else can choose a range of gifts.

Mary Angeldog
07-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I have a separate Christmas account that I put money into every month. During the year if I see the perfect gift for someone I buy it using the money from my Chrisstmas account. Since I started doing this I rarely have to use a credit card. I also take $ for Christmas cards, postage stamps and some holiday activities out of this account.

MissSantaClaus
07-27-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a separate Christmas account that I put money into every month. During the year if I see the perfect gift for someone I buy it using the money from my Chrisstmas account. Since I started doing this I rarely have to use a credit card. I also take $ for Christmas cards, postage stamps and some holiday activities out of this account.

That is really great.

SilverBells
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM

That is a very good idea and I wish I could do it myself but I know that if I needed the money for something important but not christmassy I'd probably use it there. That's why I start saving money only a few months before Christmas. Although this year I've already bought a couple of Christmas presents as I've mentioned before.:presents2:

NORADChristmas
08-01-2010, 01:02 AM
I, have also bought some I don't buy Christmas cards though I use old wrapping paper glitter anything for christmas & make homemade you can save money & actually give more :D
I just save up my money anything I earn hehe B)

SilverBells
09-13-2010, 12:52 AM
I ought to start saving right about now :presents3:

*Snowflake*
09-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Hmm,well is not really that I save the money.Sometimes I think that this is good idea and then I start saveing but most of the time I take money from bank:gelf:

olga
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Maybe start from October and save 100-200 euros the most, I know its kinda late, but, believe it or not, here,
in Greece, with the financial crisis, you can not save not even a euro..

SilverBells
09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Maybe start from October and save 100-200 euros the most, I know its kinda late, but, believe it or not, here,
in Greece, with the financial crisis, you can not save not even a euro..

No kidding. I was just thinking about that today.:sad elf:

olga
09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
No kidding. I was just thinking about that today.:sad elf:

How can we save, I wonder... Maybe ask for a euro????.:gelf:

ornamentmaven
09-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Most people in the US are having a difficult time saving as well!

olga
09-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Most people in the US are having a difficult time saving as well!

I know, Ornamentmaven:sad elf:, Ive read a lot about situation in your country, too..
It is soo sad, whats happening in many countries..

littlestar
09-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Regardless of financial situation, you have to plan. Work out how much you want to spend on Christmas and put away equal amounts each month (or week) to achieve that goal. If you know you haven't put away enough, then you know you can't spend that much come Christmas.
Christmas doesn't have to be extravagant. Christmas is about love - not gifts. Handmade gifts are far more meaningful than shop-bought gifts. Christmas dinner doesn't have to have ALL the trimmings. You can jazz up a can of baked beans if it is all you have.
Christmas is what you make of it. Your enthusiasm for Christmas is infectious. Share your joy with your loved ones and they will feel the joy too.
Best wishes to all those who are struggling. Just remember - what you take away from Christmas is your memories, so make your loved ones remember a magical day regardless of your circumstances.

SilverBells
09-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Regardless of financial situation, you have to plan. Work out how much you want to spend on Christmas and put away equal amounts each month (or week) to achieve that goal. If you know you haven't put away enough, then you know you can't spend that much come Christmas.
Christmas doesn't have to be extravagant. Christmas is about love - not gifts. Handmade gifts are far more meaningful than shop-bought gifts. Christmas dinner doesn't have to have ALL the trimmings. You can jazz up a can of baked beans if it is all you have.
Christmas is what you make of it. Your enthusiasm for Christmas is infectious. Share your joy with your loved ones and they will feel the joy too.
Best wishes to all those who are struggling. Just remember - what you take away from Christmas is your memories, so make your loved ones remember a magical day regardless of your circumstances.

Nicely said LittleStar. :elf3::elf3::elf3: