PDA

View Full Version : Tinsel - Love it or Hate it?

Oliver
10-10-2007, 05:56 AM
Hello everyone, I know this may seem like a strange topic of conversation. But I think it could turn out to be a fun and useful debate.

So tinsel, do you love it or hate it?

Weather you have it on your tree, around photo frames or long the fire place vote in the poll and then reply to this topic with your opinin.

Personally, I hate it, I think it makes things such as xmas trees look cheap and tacky. And it generally isnt nice to look at.

So let the debate begin.

Best Wishes
Oliver :cool:

coolXmas
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Something for you oliver: :D:D:D

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3639/tinselvq4.th.jpg

Oliver
10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
haha I must get one of those for all of my christmas parties this year :p

Best Wishes
Oliver

saraht2712
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
love everything to do with christmas so love tinsel , i even love tacky christmas decorations cos its christmas!!

trish_j
10-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Well, when i remember being a child, i loved it, how it sparkled..If i used real trees, i probly would use it, but with an artificial, i hate trying to take that stuff off. As far as being "tacky", I dont think so, it is traditional, the thing i hate about the way people decorate now, is how everything has to match, color cordinate everything, everything is perfect, thats not how it is suppose to be, christamas means color and lots of it! The children decorate the tree with every odd ornament they pick out, each one has a memory attached!

Oliver
11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Its nice to see that eveyone has their own views on Tinsel, Im sorry But nothing will ever change my mind about Tinsel hehe.

Best Wishes
Oliver

christmas-goth-fairy
11-15-2007, 03:39 AM
i love tinsel i think it adds something to the tree.

xxxlhxxx
11-17-2007, 04:10 PM
I love it !!!!!!! Definitly

writercord
11-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Cmon you know its tacky, but if it makes you happy, hey its Christmas! Id never criticize. There's no rule afloat. Hang your tinsel and Merrry Christmas!

trickster
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I love tinsel and all the colours that it comes in! I love the way it sparkles in the lght and really makes it feel 'Christmasy' for me!

Country55
11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't care for it much

Stevie U-P
12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
I used to love tinsel on the tree but now we don't have it!

karanmi
03-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I loved it as a child and still love the way it reflects the lights but having a couple of little furbabies and a kittie I have finally had to give up using it on my trees. As a kid many years ago it was always my job to add it to the tree. My sisters liked to just throw it on any way to get it there. Not me. I tok it one strand at a time ande it had to be added with a drape that was equal on both sides. lol Even when my kids were young I put all the tinsel on the tree. They definately did not.

McDLT
04-07-2008, 05:43 AM
So LOVE it - shiny!!!

Hubby doesn't like it so much because he tends to wear it to work - lol. :dizzy:

persimmonpudding
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
My answer isn't as black-and-white as the poll question. I love it when it is well-done. I remember folks putting it on almost piece-by-piece and taking it off the same way. So, I guess when it looks good I like it. It can be overdone though. I remember seeing a tree where I could almost see no green!

On the other hand, I HATE dealing with it and we don't use it. Who knows? We have multiple trees and I might think about using some on one of them somewhere. Anyone know if any exists not made in China? I do hate the mylar though...come to think of it...I'm not real fond of lead either!!!

XmasDVD
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
I grew up with tinsel in the tree every year of my young life and never want to see it in a tree again! :--) Since I have been on my own - may years now, I have NEVER let tinsel be put in the tree...garland either.

hallowthanksmas
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I would like to do tinsel on at least one tree, but we've got cats and dogs, so that's out.

Nick

XmasDVD
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
I would like to do tinsel on at least one tree, but we've got cats and dogs, so that's out.

Nick

..yes good point. I'm not sure how bad for dogs, but it could kill a cat as it gets wrapped around vital internal organs on the way 'out' :kinky elf:

Daisy
09-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I love it... In moderation! I really don't like when there's too much of it. And yes, I agree that it looks tacky when there's too much of it. I like the lose tinsel strands, I always put loads of that on my tree... Makes it look like it's snowing on it!

Merry Christmas Darling
09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I loved the old, old tinsel that was heavy and hung straight down. I still like tinsel but don't use it on my artificial trees.

Brokendreams4905
09-25-2008, 05:29 PM
I love it...but my cats like to chew on it and eat it..and that can be dangerous so I can't use it.

onemagicalchristmas
10-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't use it because I have dogs that like to chew on shiny things but I don't hate it. If used it can be pretty.:christmastree:

Theresa Cunningham
11-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I love tinsel it goes perfectly with my 50 vintage glass ornies. I have pictures of my mother when she was 6 in front of thier huge tree has silver tinsel all over it. I already have purchased several boxes already since it seems to sell out every year. :christmastree:

noelglori
11-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I grew up with tinsel on the Christmas tree but I got away from using it when my children were small.

I don't like it on my tree but I've seen pretty trees with tinsel and now it comes in so many different colors.

I don't like the tinsel garlands around my tree either but again I've seen other people use the garland and their trees look very nice with it.

So my vote was undecided as you can see.

i luv christmas best
11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't like it.... It's so messy...:rudolph:

misty27
11-05-2008, 12:16 AM
I used tinsel on the Christmas tree when I was young but now it is too messy

ladyice
11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I love red and silver tinsel. :)

onemagicalchristmas
11-08-2008, 01:40 AM
I seen some pretty pink tinsel at wally world today! I have red tinsel garland on my tree. :christmastree:

JollyElfDC
11-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't like it on my tree, but I do like it on other people's. I think it just depends on your personal style.

txsnowgirl
11-10-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't use tinsel, only because I have white garland. Tinsel can be "tacky" when put on the wrong way. If you glob it on, then, yes, it can look tacky, but, if you distribute it nicely, it is pretty. Whether one person finds it tacky or not, doesn't matter. If you like it, use it, if you don't, well, don't, lol

Just reading back up, this says how long it's been, I didn't realize there were colors, ROFLMAO!!

yuletide
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I love tinsel. It is a shame people nowadays think it is too tacky.

ladyice
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't like it on my tree, but I do like it on other people's. I think it just depends on your personal style.

I use beads on my trees but I put garland up on the door ways and banisters :)

onemagicalchristmas
11-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I want to get some beads for my tree next year. I want some white or blue ones.:kinky elf:

Donna-50
11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I love tinsel, but haven't used it in years. I put it on one by one. My kids don't like that job.

tlazer
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi There I'm new to this site! as far as tinsel is conerned love,love,love It . It really does add nice sparkle to it!!!! :christmastree:

glone
11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Love looking at it, hate cleaning it up. :)

onemagicalchristmas
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
that is about how I feel when we were kids my parents had us put it on the tree then we had to take it back off the tree after christmas. I hated that job!

lynnenc
11-17-2008, 05:58 AM
well I voted undecided - for nostalgic reasons I love it but for pratical reasons I don't. I grew up with it on our trees and had it on my trees up until the mid 90's. I insisted on being the one to put it on because hubby and the kids just 'globbed' it on - I was the one strand at a time person. Now I have 3 cats so it is out of the question. I am deep into icicles now and have several hundred glass icicles plus crystal beaded ones that I have made that I put on the tree. I love seeing a well done tree with tinsel :christmastree:

onemagicalchristmas
11-19-2008, 12:21 AM
with animals it is hard to have tinsel. I know my Sassi would eat it so I can't use it. I don't think Buddy would be bothered by it though. He is just a loafer and does take spurts of sniffing the tree and stockings. BUt not a whole lot

Xmasflora
11-19-2008, 09:05 AM
my tinsel I mixed several colors of reds pinks gold silver and put it into some big glass bowls and glass vases around the living room so it stays in one place and just a little tinsel into the tree

iceicebaby
11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
well, I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of tinsel (the garland type) and I have to place it on 'just so!':santahat: I have 3 cats, and after the first few days when they get spritzed with water, they don't tend to go near my trees. But as it's the garlands I use, the tinsel pieces are short anyway, so wont do any harm.

Bee
11-20-2008, 06:31 PM
The only thing I am not loving about it is having to put it on one strand at a time, my mom always told us to throw it on the tree in hunks, I do think it shimmers nice at night with the lights.:santa1:

Mary Angeldog
11-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I like tinsel on other people's trees when it is well done. It adds a feeling of nostalgia to the holidays for me. I don't like bothering with it or tinsel garland either and since we have a furchild and artificial trees its just as well that I don't. I find that lots of clear plastic or glass "crystal" icicles can make the tree look just as shimmer-y.

timnsuzi
11-20-2008, 09:31 PM
i never cared for tinsel until last year. we put up a tree in the kitchen and let the two oldest granddaughters decorate it. i caved and bought tinsel for them. it was the most wonderfully, hilarious site!!! esp. the 2 year old!! such fun!!

steph535
11-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I didn't take part in the poll because I didn't know if you meant the garland type or the individual strands called 'icicles' (as a child, my family had a traditional 'argument' every year when decorating the tree; my dad and I called it 'icicles' because that's what it said on the little boxes, but my mom and sister insisted it was 'rain' because they said it looked like rain, not icicles lol)
Anyway, I don't like the garland type because it looks tacky. I love the hanging strands of silver 'icicles' as long as they are hung straight. It is a lot of work to do it right, so I don't like to do it, but I do anyway. I like to carefullly place some towards the inside of the tree to catch the lights reflecting. I actually use clear or opaque beads, bows, AND the tinsel. it might seem I go overboard, but it looks awesome when I'm finished.

onemagicalchristmas
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
can't wait to see pics! I love to see icicles on the tree but not with my group. THey would try to eat it so I stick with the garland type!

steph535
11-21-2008, 03:12 AM
[QUOTE=onemagicalchristmas;4556]can't wait to see pics! I love to see icicles on the tree but not with my group. THey would try to eat it so I stick with the garland type![/QUOTE
I wish I could send pics but I don't even own a camera now, let alone a digital camera and if I did have one, I confess that I wouldn't even know how to do it. Not that I couldn't learn, though. (not to mention that I haven't even started decorating yet, lol)

IrishAmerican
11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
loved it when i was a kid but now i cant stand it!

hazelnut
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I love tinsel!! i thnk its fabby im also a bit weird in that i love the smell, i guess coz whenever mum used to get the box of decs down the smell would be that of the decs and always reminds me of when i was little.

my sons freind had tinsel in her hair this AM at school as she is going to see the lights get turned on in our town centre, im working until late so i will get to se ethem all go on as well (altho willprob be really busy too lol)

quags
11-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I love putting tinsel on my Christmas tree!

ladyice
12-01-2008, 05:23 AM
artificial trees its just as well that I don't. I find that lots of clear plastic or glass "crystal" icicles can make the tree look just as shimmer-y.

I use those too, I have lots of those icicles on my trees

theedwin
12-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Hello All,

I voted that I hate it, only because there was no "the worst thing ever created!" choice.

I can see its use on a real tree, but trying to get that stuff off a fake one (err, I mean "artificial" one) is next to impossible!

For some reason what looked nice last year becomes twirled and tangled around every branch this year! It's as if when you put the tree back in the box all the little tinsels start talking and carrying on and decide to create mazes amongst the "needles". I think that it is some sort of conspiracy! LOL

E

JollyElfDC
12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Hello All,

I can see its use on a real tree, but trying to get that stuff off a fake one (err, I mean "artificial" one) is next to impossible!

For some reason what looked nice last year becomes twirled and tangled around every branch this year! It's as if when you put the tree back in the box all the little tinsels start talking and carrying on and decide to create mazes amongst the "needles". I think that it is some sort of conspiracy! LOL

E

This is exactly the reason we stopped using it when I was a kid! It was just to hard to take off the tree. It's only good on a real tree, because you can throw the whole thing out when you're done.

daddysgirl07
12-02-2008, 01:33 AM
i think its pretty i love it's glimmer

m4816k
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Another vote for "love it":smiling angel:

I don't have anything against other types of garland (beads or tinsel garland), but this is the only type of garland that gives my natural trees a very uniform and symmetric look. Seriously, since natural trees don't have that balanced look of perfect symmetry I just put several threads of tinsel on the end of (almost) each branch - gluing them with a transparent tape or something - and the tree looks more proportionate right away. Since I don't just throw batches of them on the tree, there's no problem taking it off.

ikey2
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I love Tinsel and my wife hates it with a passion. I am not even sure why she has such hate for the pretty shinny stuff.

MacShirts
08-20-2009, 12:58 AM
I think it makes things such as xmas trees look cheap and tacky

Agree completely, plus we have ceiling fans in every room, so it usually blows the stuff off and makes a mess

devoy26
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
i love tinsel my tree gets a healthy dose of it . the brigher the better . really makes the tree pop. bright tinsel and coloured lights.... heaven !!!!!

:presents2:

ANGWife
10-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Hate it. It gets into EVERYTHING. And my tries to eat it so we can't put it up anyways.

Kittyskyfish
10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I love tinsel but don't put it on my artificial trees since it's a royal pain to remove. So instead I load up on super fat strands of shiny silver garland to bring on the silver glow!

Lots of silver tinsel, lots of twinkling and solid white lights. Perfect!!

steph535
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
I dunno, but I am thinking that Oliver, the original poster is mixing up tinsel with garland, since he mentions putting it around pictures and along the fireplace, etc... I agree that the silvery and gold or whatever color garland does usually look tacky. Of course tinsel can look tacky, also, if just thrown on or put on in hunks. But, if it is put on correctly, it can look beautiful. Of course, it's much prettier at night with the lights on, than in the daytime. Anyway, to me, garland is the stuff that you wind around the tree, and frame a doorway with, and tinsel is the stuff that you put on the tree one or two strands at a time, so it looks like rain. Tinsel is also called icicles, and is the stuff that you still find yourself picking up in July.

Home alone 2
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I love it ! Not particularly on the tree but anywhere else is great.

ChristmasFanatic
10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
As a kid, we always had tinsel/icicles on our trees, as it seemed everyone did, back then. I believe I put tinsel/icicles on my first couple of trees, but then got out of the habit, when it seemed hard to find, here. I think it's making a bit of a comeback, though and I might add it to our tree, this year.

kimmy
10-14-2009, 07:40 AM
i love tinsel it has to match the colour of my decorations though:smitten:

ChantelleJoy
10-15-2009, 05:16 AM
I voted 'LOVE IT' becuase I always love seeing it on trees, and remember it very fondly growing up - but I also remember the mess for our well-used artificial tree, and would likley never use it on my own. This is why they invented Tinsel Garland - all the pretty - none of the mess!

amymcdonald_xx
10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
heey what would christmas be without the odd tacky thingg xx boring thats what it would be :L xx

my mum hates it but i still put it up xx hehe
:merrychristmas:

lighting lady
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I Love it, it brings back memories of my childhood. We always had a balsam tree and my dad would spend HOURS placing one piece at a time on the tree. When it was complete it was beautiful! I don't like it though when people put handfuls on at a time.

SnowAngel
10-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Tinsel is so 80s...but I still love it! However, because it is messy, I don't use it on my trees. Unless, of course I can find gold tinsel, as my tree has mostly gold decorations.:snowman:

SnowAngel
10-16-2009, 04:43 PM
whoops, I meant to say, "tree." I only have one! What a job it would be to decorate more than one.

steph535
10-16-2009, 10:27 PM
I Love it, it brings back memories of my childhood. We always had a balsam tree and my dad would spend HOURS placing one piece at a time on the tree. When it was complete it was beautiful! I don't like it though when people put handfuls on at a time.

I couldn't agree with you more. We always had a balsam, too, only it was my mom that spent hours putting on the tinsel one strand at a time.

angelpugs
10-16-2009, 11:17 PM
My mom use to use it on our trees growing up as it was pretty even though it would cling to your clothes if you got to close and it was a little messy cleaning up as i know have my own home and with my pugs i can't use it.It is pretty on trees as long as it's not clumped.:santa2::home::elf1:

brittd19
10-17-2009, 05:05 AM
I Love it! i think its beautiful...However cleaning up after my cat munching on it...Is not so beautiful..if you catch my drift

Golden Fairy
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Personally, I hate the stuff, funny really as my best Christmas memories are those as a child at home...with the tinsel covered tree!

CandyKara
10-20-2009, 12:42 AM
I love tinsel, it's like christmas tree picks, it just adds some sparkle to the tree

Ellie
10-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Well, I liked it alot when I was a kid, I looked forward to tossing it on the tree but always got yelled by my sisters for my lack of finesse...must have thought more was better.

However, when we had our first tree, our cat used to pull it off. So after spending alot of time on the floor removing it from the vaccuum cleaner, we switched to garland and/or beads.