PDA

View Full Version : budget christmas decorating

brittlea
12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
does anyone have some good ideas for decorating on a budget?

Donna-50
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
The dollar store, thrift shops, craigs list or free cycle. I try to buy my stuff after Christmas for the following year.

ChantelleJoy
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I bought an entire Christmas villiage at two thrift stores this year, very good condition, for only about $25 total. Very pleased with that purchase.

I also get a lot of little household decorations like mugs and candle holders, etc, from dollar stores!

:christmastree:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh, yes! There are paper patterns online which can be used for making ornaments or you can trace around cookie cutters. Computer paper or cardstock can be used. You can paint your windows with poster paint freehand or with stencils. You can buy ornaments, wrapping paper, cookie cutters, etc. at Goodwill; I take stuff I don't use to Goodwill.

A small tree with paper ornaments all cut from white paper is very pretty.

And just look for craft ideas online.

JollyElfDC
12-07-2009, 10:57 PM
The parking lot where I work is surrounded by trees. I filled a bag with pine cones. It didn't cost me a cent.

Papa_Christmas
12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I would agree with Donna-50 .I have acquired the vast majority of my decorations at the after Christmas sales. I always go the day after Christmas and get a few treasures. Be warned the day after is not for the faint at heart those girls can be brutal .:elf1:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-08-2009, 12:53 AM
The parking lot where I work is surrounded by trees. I filled a bag with pine cones. It didn't cost me a cent.

That reminds me of the time I filled our personal pillowcases with huge pine cones while traveling in South Carolina! The cones were about 8-10 inches long; they may have been from longleaf pine trees.

JollyElfDC
12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
That reminds me of the time I filled our personal pillowcases with huge pine cones while traveling in South Carolina! The cones were about 8-10 inches long; they may have been from longleaf pine trees.

I know the kind you mean. My mother had us pick them up one summer. We lived in Calgary, so you could get some huge pine cones on the ground near the huge evergreens out near the mountains. I think she still puts them out every year. The grand kids may have gotten new ones for her by now.:santa1:

DaleGuice
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I will recycle all the christmas decors i've used last year. But i will put a different twist for it to look a little different from last year.

PaintIdeas
12-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Another way to save money on Christmas decorations is to make your own! This blog had a few great do-it-yourself Christmas projects. Here is one for a snowman:

Paint Ideas Blog - Jingle Snowman (http://paintideas.com/Angie/blog/263/jingle-snowman)

Let me know if this helps!

Kate

kimmy
12-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I would agree with Donna-50 .I have acquired the vast majority of my decorations at the after Christmas sales. I always go the day after Christmas and get a few treasures. Be warned the day after is not for the faint at heart those girls can be brutal .:elf1:

i totally agree, i get alot of my decorations in the sales to, but you have to fight for anything in the sales, there crazy!!! :dizzy:

SnowAngel
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
As others have suggested, buying after Christmas is one of the best ways to save money. Also, cyber shopping around the holidays can be a smart way to shop what with sales and coupon codes as well as free shipping. Online companies need to be just as aggressive with sales as brick n mortar companies these days in order to stay afloat.

keydevon
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
This Christmas, you can decorate your home and streets – the way you want. We have got a comprehensive range of decoration items, which can be used to give that perfect look to your home during Christmas time. I think this is good resource for you :christmastree:

christmasgifts-holidays.co.uk/christmas-decorations.html

Papa_Christmas
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
This Christmas, you can decorate your home and streets – the way you want. We have got a comprehensive range of decoration items, which can be used to give that perfect look to your home during Christmas time. I think this is good resource for you :christmastree:

christmasgifts-holidays.co.uk/christmas-decorations.html

I love this forum but I'm amazed at the number of one time posters trying to make a buck!:sad elf:

markgbarba1987
12-17-2009, 02:29 PM
There are really Bargain stores available.. You just need to be patient in looking for those stores. But its worth it really. :elf3:

steph535
12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I love this forum but I'm amazed at the number of one time posters trying to make a buck!:sad elf:

boy, you said it, Papa! they seem to crawl out of the woodwork this time of year. I'm sure ChantelleJoy and the rest of the staff have their work cut out for them, just trying to keep up with the spammers/advertisers. sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. now back to your regularly scheduled program, lol.

Donna-50
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
boy, you said it, Papa! they seem to crawl out of the woodwork this time of year. I'm sure ChantelleJoy and the rest of the staff have their work cut out for them, just trying to keep up with the spammers/advertisers. sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. now back to your regularly scheduled program, lol.

They are even doing PM! I so dislike spammers:sad elf:.

tinkerbell2
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Yeah they got me too..:sad elf:

Papa_Christmas
12-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Yes I got one this morning .Thought I was going to hear from one of my wonderful new friends not get a sales pitch.*@&^^$%#%%%$#:sad elf:

EllfGirl
12-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes I got one this morning .Thought I was going to hear from one of my wonderful new friends not get a sales pitch.*@&^^$%#%%%$#:sad elf:

same here :sad elf:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2009, 12:17 AM
I deleted it without really reading it. When I order something by phone, I don't want to hear about their specials. I'll buy things that are on sale in a store if it's something I need or have wanted, but when I order by phone I figure I'm already spending enough money.

Christmas is getting closer, everyone! :presents1: Are all your gifts wrapped?

Donna-50
12-18-2009, 03:00 AM
I deleted it without really reading it. When I order something by phone, I don't want to hear about their specials. I'll buy things that are on sale in a store if it's something I need or have wanted, but when I order by phone I figure I'm already spending enough money.

Christmas is getting closer, everyone! :presents1: Are all your gifts wrapped?

Half of my gifts are wrapped. The kids are teens and a preteen so the gifts are smaller but more expensive.:presents2:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Half of my gifts are wrapped. The kids are teens and a preteen so the gifts are smaller but more expensive.:presents2:

I'm pretty sure that I've wrapped all of mine except one.