PDA

View Full Version : We're getting a real christmas tree!!!!!

steph535
11-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Can you tell I'm just a teensy bit excited? lol, I am jumping up and down and yelling 'YAHOO!!!!!!' at the top of my lungs and leaping and dancing around. I think I'm 5 or 6 again. Oh my gosh, I can't believe it!! I couldn't afford to get both a real tree stand AND a real tree and my best friend told me they were putting up an artificial tree this year and we could use their real tree stand!!! So, we brought home the tree stand last night and every time I see it, I just want to squeal with delight. We haven't been able to get a real tree in at least 9 years. I could go on and on. oh, and did I tell you all yet that we're getting a REAL CHRISTMAS TREE?!!!!!!! I can't wait!! we will go this Tuesday, most likely.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Awesome!!! I hope you find a good one.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Outdoors/ChristmasTrees.jpg

steph535
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
aww, thank you, MW! haha, great pic, by the way.

olga
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Can you tell I'm just a teensy bit excited? lol, I am jumping up and down and yelling 'YAHOO!!!!!!' at the top of my lungs and leaping and dancing around. I think I'm 5 or 6 again. Oh my gosh, I can't believe it!! I couldn't afford to get both a real tree stand AND a real tree and my best friend told me they were putting up an artificial tree this year and we could use their real tree stand!!! So, we brought home the tree stand last night and every time I see it, I just want to squeal with delight. We haven't been able to get a real tree in at least 9 years. I could go on and on. oh, and did I tell you all yet that we're getting a REAL CHRISTMAS TREE?!!!!!!! I can't wait!! we will go this Tuesday, most likely.

Thats excellent news Steph, Im very happy for you!!!
So, you decorate on Tuesday, 1st of December, eh? :christmastree: Wonderful! :elf3:

steph535
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Thats excellent news Steph, Im very happy for you!!!
So, you decorate on Tuesday, 1st of December, eh? :christmastree: Wonderful! :elf3:

thank you, Olga. It isn't that Dec 1st is the 'official' decorating day for me. That's just the soonest I will have the money in my account, haha. Otherwise, I'd have gone and gotten that tree already. I do have my slim prelit tree up already, but haven't finished arranging the tips/branches and haven't put on ornaments, etc.. yet. Since we're getting a real tree, I won't be putting up my big artificial one this year. And, since we now live in a tiny apt, the real tree will take up most of our little dining area, haha. but, I don't care. I have to have my tree and I'm not skimping. I love the slim tree (still a 7footer) but I have to have my bigger, fancier one, too.:smitten:

ornamentmaven
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Have fun Steph!

steph535
12-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Have fun Steph!

thanks, OM!:santa:

olga
12-01-2009, 02:50 AM
thank you, Olga. It isn't that Dec 1st is the 'official' decorating day for me. That's just the soonest I will have the money in my account, haha. Otherwise, I'd have gone and gotten that tree already. I do have my slim prelit tree up already, but haven't finished arranging the tips/branches and haven't put on ornaments, etc.. yet. Since we're getting a real tree, I won't be putting up my big artificial one this year. And, since we now live in a tiny apt, the real tree will take up most of our little dining area, haha. but, I don't care. I have to have my tree and I'm not skimping. I love the slim tree (still a 7footer) but I have to have my bigger, fancier one, too.:smitten:

Excellent!!! Enjoy it Steph!! And do not forget!! Nice Christmas music while decorating, while baking chocolate cookies!!! :elf1: :elf1:

:merrychristmas:

steph535
12-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Excellent!!! Enjoy it Steph!! And do not forget!! Nice Christmas music while decorating, while baking chocolate cookies!!! :elf1: :elf1:

:merrychristmas:

yes, you are so right. I always have Christmas music playing while decorating the tree. and I start with the same record my mother used to put on when she was putting the lights on the tree when I was a child, which is "A Music Box Christmas" because it just goes so well with the twinkly lights and sounds so nice and Christmassy. But, I can't promise I'll make the chocolate cookies, although , who knows? I might just surprise myself.:elf1:

StevenTaylor
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Real christmas trees are so much nicer, but until I have my own family and children... I don't know if I can be bothered. My mother has a disability so a fake one is so much easier. Hoovering all the needles up too!

Only when my (future) children get really excited will I be able to justify it :)

clobeau
12-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Fantastic news
be careful if you have any pets, make sure they stay away from the tree, they could get hurt

Have a fantabulous christmas and a happy new year!

Elvira1986
12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I want one too. We normally have one, but the boyfriend was totally tired of things like needleloss. So for the first time we're doing the artificial thing. I will get two small real ones in the window.

cissy84
12-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I would love a real tree! Enjoy! I grew up with real trees every year. We would go to the local tree farm and cut our own down and sip on hot chocolate. When my daughter is old enough for it, I'll be doing it again. Until then, a fake one it is! :christmastree:

genrichkarlovichjr
12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh please I want to come to Im always the hostess to my DHs family I dont like to go to there home because they dont make it feel like Christmas I love the table to be decorated they dont, I love the tree to be up they dont put up a tree, I just love the feeling of Christmas do you know what I mean? I love to have both families here but there is not enough room.

red-ona
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
i am having a fake one for few years already!

JollyElfDC
12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Enjoy your tree!:tree1:
I have always wanted a real one. The closest I ever came was spending Christmas with relatives who had real trees. It isn't the same as having a real one in your own house though.

My fake tree is looking kind of ratty. Maybe next year I'll get a real one.

steph535
12-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Oh please I want to come to Im always the hostess to my DHs family I dont like to go to there home because they dont make it feel like Christmas I love the table to be decorated they dont, I love the tree to be up they dont put up a tree, I just love the feeling of Christmas do you know what I mean? I love to have both families here but there is not enough room.

hello and :welcome: I know what you mean. I love it when people have decorations up for Christmas. It just makes me all happy inside. I don't know how long you've been with your husband, but maybe some of your Christmas spirit will eventually rub off on his family. One can only hope.

steph535
12-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Enjoy your tree!:tree1:
I have always wanted a real one. The closest I ever came was spending Christmas with relatives who had real trees. It isn't the same as having a real one in your own house though.

My fake tree is looking kind of ratty. Maybe next year I'll get a real one.
My big fake tree has been looking ratty for a couple years now, so it was either use it again, get a real tree, or buy another artificial. When and if I get another artificial one again, I want a real nice one and I can't afford it this year. maybe after Christmas when the prices go way down. Then again, it's so nice having a real tree, I'm hoping to be able to keep getting them.

JollyElfDC
12-08-2009, 02:35 AM
My big fake tree has been looking ratty for a couple years now, so it was either use it again, get a real tree, or buy another artificial. When and if I get another artificial one again, I want a real nice one and I can't afford it this year. maybe after Christmas when the prices go way down. Then again, it's so nice having a real tree, I'm hoping to be able to keep getting them.

I'm going to be watching for after Christmas sales too. I want a pre lit one. Actually I would love to ave more than one tree, but I just don't have the space.:sad elf:

steph535
12-08-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm going to be watching for after Christmas sales too. I want a pre lit one. Actually I would love to ave more than one tree, but I just don't have the space.:sad elf:

ya know, I'm going back and forth on whether to get a prelit or not. I am so tired of putting lights on the tree, so in that respect I want a prelit. but, from what I've read and heard and am starting to experience (one of my trees is a 7ft, slim prelit), the lights don't last long. I think this is the 4th Christmas for our prelit and one section of lights is out. I have searched for the burnt one(s) but can't find any. So, how do I fix it? I could put a string on, but eventually they will all go out. A prelit costs so much, too. I don't want to pay for something that will only be good for a few years. If anyone reading this has had a prelit that has stayed lit for many years, please let me know. oh, and I started putting up 2 trees about 4 years ago after I got the slim prelit one on sale for $25. And when we moved to this tiny apartment a few months ago, I wondered how I could decorate, since there's practically no room. But, I was determined, especially when I found I could get a real tree. So, the slim tree is in a corner, and the real tree is in our dining area. yes, it's kinda crowded, but it's only for a short time.:home:

Donna-50
12-08-2009, 03:04 AM
I have a pre-lit but only two years and so far so good. You may want to look into Light Keeper Pro as that is good at finding what is wrong with the lights. They sell them in Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and Walmart.

I had a beautiful tree that I had to put the lights on and gave it away and bought the pre-lit. The pre-lits are so much heavier than the others but now it is hard to find one that isn't pre-lit.

I love real tree's but stopped buying them about 10 years ago because they started costing about $90. I did buy one the year before last for $45 so the prices have come down but my youngest hates the smell which I love.\

Good luck on picking out your tree. When are you going to get it?

missclaus
12-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Every year since I was 10 my mom and I put up a christmas village. Its one of those miniatures and every year we get a new shop or person for the village this year we are gonna do a big one and my dad is going to build a jill for the town so we can but the town church at the top and we are gonna make a skating rink because my mom got me a hot chocolate stand. Im my house Christmas is a very big deal

steph535
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a pre-lit but only two years and so far so good. You may want to look into Light Keeper Pro as that is good at finding what is wrong with the lights. They sell them in Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and Walmart.

I had a beautiful tree that I had to put the lights on and gave it away and bought the pre-lit. The pre-lits are so much heavier than the others but now it is hard to find one that isn't pre-lit.

I love real tree's but stopped buying them about 10 years ago because they started costing about $90. I did buy one the year before last for $45 so the prices have come down but my youngest hates the smell which I love.\

Good luck on picking out your tree. When are you going to get it?

thanks for the info, Donna. I'll have to see about getting a light keeper pro. wow! $90??!!! that's waaayy too much. I know many years ago, we were paying $45 and $50 and I thought that was a lot. I bought balsam at Lowes a few days ago. They had frasier firs, balsams, and douglas firs. I love any one of those, but I grew up with balsams and they have the best fragrance. Fortunately for me, the balsams were all $30, no matter what size. I can't say it is the best balsam I have seen, but it will do just fine. it's funny you mention your youngest not liking the smell of the tree. I was just talking to one of my older daughters, who has a family of her own, and she told me that she likes real trees but she doesn't care for the smell. I said, "and WHO'S daughter are you????" but, she did say that someone she knew had gotten a tree that she thought smelled really good, like citrus. I asked her to describe it, and I told her it's a white fir. I only knew because a friend of mine had one last year. I knew of white pine, but had never heard of white fir.

DaleGuice
12-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow.. It will surely be a great christmas tree.

Donna-50
12-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, $30 for a tree is great. I use to get the Frazier fir. Love the Douglas fir but they don't like heavy ornaments. Is the Balsam the ones with the real long needles?

Merry Christmas Darling
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Wow, $30 for a tree is great. I use to get the Frazier fir. Love the Douglas fir but they don't like heavy ornaments. Is the Balsam the ones with the real long needles?

Balsams have short needles and they are the most fragrant trees I've run across. L. L. Bean in Maine always has balsam products in their Christmas catalogs:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/LLBSearchDispatch?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&init=1&freeText=balsam&qs=3009648

steph535
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM

MW is correct about balsams. They look very much like frasier firs, only the balsams needles are just a teeny bit longer than the frasiers, and they don't have that silvery color on the underside of the needles. I'm not sure what long needled trees you mean, because I am not familiar with some of them, but I know the white pine is the longest needled Christmas tree I know of. White pines have weaker branches, though, even weaker than a douglas fir. Oh, and douglas firs have longer needles than balsams.

Donna-50
12-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Thanks. I just googled them and haven't seen them in FL but do remember them from NY. I am going to go take a look next time I am in Lowe's or Home Depot. I was thinking of the Scotch Pine that has the long needles but when dry they are scary.

steph535
12-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I just googled them and haven't seen them in FL but do remember them from NY. I am going to go take a look next time I am in Lowe's or Home Depot. I was thinking of the Scotch Pine that has the long needles but when dry they are scary.

I really should have remembered Scotch pines, for pete's sakes. Everyone and their brother had them when I was growing up. We were the odd ones with our balsams. I got our balsam last week from Lowes. That's where I paid $30 for it. and that was for a 6 to 9 foot tree. Let us know what you end up getting.:christmastree: oh, and by the way, I am in Florida, too.

gandr1212
12-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I got a real tree too !!! I can't have one in the house but I bought one to plant. He will go at my new house. He is about 1 ft. high, he is a Leyland Cypress. He will grow about 100 ft and at 3 ft a yr, I won't be here, hope the kids like him.

steph535
12-10-2009, 01:00 AM
I got a real tree too !!! I can't have one in the house but I bought one to plant. He will go at my new house. He is about 1 ft. high, he is a Leyland Cypress. He will grow about 100 ft and at 3 ft a yr, I won't be here, hope the kids like him.

wonderful! congrats to you.