PDA

View Full Version : Stumped About Grandmother's Christmas Gifts!

Christmas_Spirit
11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Hello!
I have been wracking my brain to figure out the perfect Christmas gift for my grandmother but it has been very difficult. She doesn't have any hobbies and she isn't much for watching TV (so I can't buy her a DVD set of anything). She doesn't listen to music and she isn't into girly things, like fancy clothes, jewelry, and bubble bath. She is very simple, and she has always been that way. She also has been diagnosed with Neuropathy and she hasn't been able to walk (Which has been very difficult for her since before the Neuropathy she was a free-moving, healthy individual). She is on medication that makes her shake violently and so she can't really use her hands for too much (So I can't take her out anywhere because she doesn't feel comfortable) . She has also been told she is borderline diabetic so she doesn't eat anything sweet. I thought about finding a diabetic approved chocolate/sweets club where they would send a new box of candies for a year, but I haven't gotten to look into it (I only thought of it last night). Also she hasn't been going out so she doesn't wear anything other than a couple old sweatshirts (I bought her a bunch of comfortable, nice sweat suits last Christmas because that is all she wears, but she doesn't even wear them because they are too nice). We got her a new blanket so I can't get her another one, and she has diabetic socks so I can't just get her some pretty, soft, warm socks or fuzzy slippers. I have also kept her stocked with foot creams because the Neuropathy makes her feet very uncomfortable so I can't keep getting her more. I feel saddened. I don't want to keep buying her stuff that reminds her of her Neuropathy. But otherwise there isn't anything I can think to get her that she will love. I want her to have a Christmas filled with fun gifts, like it should be. I don't want to get her stuff that reminds her that she is sick while I'm getting everyone else exciting things. I ask her what she wants but she says she doesn't need anything. I'm lost. So to sum it up...she doesn't read, watch movies, listen to music, have a hobby (i.e. knitting), she can't eat sweets, she doesn't drink, she won't wear any new clothes, doesn't like jewelry or bubble bath and I can't take her out for a nice dinner or to do something interactive because she doesn't want to go out until she feels better. The only thing I remember her enjoying pre-Neuropathy was going to church. She really liked the community there, and sadly she can no longer go (I know she misses it). I would get her a DVD of Sunday masses, but she wouldn't watch it. I'm sure there are others out there that have/or have had ill members of the family. What did you get them that seemed to be a hit?

sahm629
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I know this may sound very wierd, but possibly, do you think a professional massage (gift certificate) would be a nice gift?

Christmas_Spirit
11-30-2009, 04:24 AM
It does sound like a good idea, and I definitely appreciate the response but unfortunately I think my grandmother might feel too uncomfortable; plus we would need someone to come to us since she can't leave the house. I love the idea and I'm sure she could use it, the only problem is that she probably won't. But I will play around with the idea because it is a good one. Thank you!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-30-2009, 07:21 AM
The massage doesn't sound like it's right for your particular grandmother. What about a nice olivewood nativity set or a bag of groceries or a spiral sliced ham?

markgbarba1987
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Uhmmm maybe you can give her something you made... like a photo album that you created with a card that you made also... thatd be nice :presents3:

ornamentmaven
12-01-2009, 05:28 AM
I agree. I think some of her favorite foods would be a great gift. You could make up a pretty gift basket with an inexpensive ornament attached!

StevenTaylor
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I have this problem with my mother. Have you considered taking her out for dinner for a gift?

doraemon
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe you can choose some beautiful room decorations for her. Different curtains or beddings to make her feel ease.

HollyJoy
12-09-2009, 04:07 AM
With grandmothers I think its the thought that counts. No matter what you do try to find a present that says I love you and I appreciate you. Make sure to throw in a nice card saying this I think grandparents love to hear that you think of them and care for them. Best of luck.

EffnDan
12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
One year I got my grandmother a "Electric Jar Opener" I thought it would be the BEST gift in the world for her.. That was until my Uncle got teh SAME gift for her, the same year!!!
It was rather funny... Guess it really WAS a good gift for her.

xtina711
12-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi there,
Maybe if your grandmother really isn't interested in Reading per say you could find an interesting book with more photos rather than any stories. My Grandmother was the same..but we found some interesting books for her one year..like one of the Queen/Royal family, paintings...or Art books. She may not want to read but she might be interested enough to look at the pictures. Maybe you could find some pertaining to her era and youth..things they did in her time. Another thing I was thinking about is finding her a friend to chat with once a week...they have people at seniors centers who will come and visit older people...many are in the same age group but more mobile than others. They will come and talk about the old times and even if they balk at the ideas first...they really just want company. You could get her an in home Hairdo...as well the senior center should have a person who will go to her house and do her hair for her. It is very easy for the elderly to get into a rut like the rest of us..and now that she isn't mobile anymore she may be feeling defeated...she needs a boost. Another thing could be one of those digital picture frames..you could load it up with favorite photos and she might enjoy switching from picture to picture. Well these are just a few thoughts...hope they might help you out. All the best!! Your a good grandchild no matter what you give her...just because you love her enough to care!!!!