PDA

View Full Version : I have a secret :)

AmyK
09-29-2009, 05:51 PM
My stepdaughter gets so many presents for Christmas from her gma and aunt (and the rest of the family!) that I confiscate like, half of her presents.

And some of those get wrapped again the following year for a second trip under the tree.

And she has nooooo idea. :gelf:

steph535
09-29-2009, 08:55 PM
but,don't they ask her how she likes whatever they sent her? Or don't they wonder why she doesn't thank them for the particular items that they sent that you held back for the next year?

Philmore
09-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Is this a secret from everyone? Or, just your step daughter?

Seems like it could get awkward if none of the Aunts and Grandmas know your secret.

On the upside, fewer gifts could help her better appreciate what she does get.

devoy26
10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
you are my kinda person !!! thats just brilliant.

:jumping:

Shanniclause
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Thats awesome! :merrychristmas:

AmyK
10-01-2009, 11:09 PM
but,don't they ask her how she likes whatever they sent her? Or don't they wonder why she doesn't thank them for the particular items that they sent that you held back for the next year?
No, they actually don't ask her at all, and they don't expect her to thank them--and it never occurs to her, either. The gifts are pretty shallow, they're VERY numerous, and she doesn't appreciate a whole lot of the gifts anyway. So why not recycle? :gelf: I remember two years ago my first Christmas with her; she just literally tore through the paper--didn't bother to even look at what she had just been given. She just went from one gift to the next and then when they were all opened, she took a nap.

Elvira1986
10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
I think this is pretty smart. It makes her appreciate what she does get more I think/hope.

Smokyturtle
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
A whole new way of going Green...lol. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle their presents...lol. Plus saves your own money

devoy26
10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
the more i think about it the more i reckon thats what my parents wud have done. either recycle them or give the excess to charity.
we were allways made call our relations christmas day and thank them . it kinda hit it home to you in a nice way that people took time to choose something that they thought you might like..

kimmy
10-04-2009, 05:33 AM
nice idea, :yahoo:

Golden Fairy
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
you made me laugh out loud on this one, well done, great idea!!

mykid
11-04-2009, 12:00 AM
great idea but is it fair with your stepdaughter? :)

lighting lady
11-05-2009, 02:16 AM
If you don't mind me asking...how old is your stepdaughter? Does your hubby know about the recycle program?

Home alone 2
11-05-2009, 03:11 AM
My stepdaughter gets so many presents for Christmas from her gma and aunt (and the rest of the family!) that I confiscate like, half of her presents.

And some of those get wrapped again the following year for a second trip under the tree.

No offense but I see that as very cruel.

Ellie
11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Why not thank family members for their generousity, and ask them to limit the amount of gifts? If that's not an option, its a great opportunity to start a family tradition in giving to the less fortunate. Let her decide what she'd like to give away to other kids in hospitals or with no families, along with other family members. I think there is nothing more important we can teach our kids than to think of others.

That's what Christmas is about.

mykid
11-07-2009, 03:18 PM
No offense but I see that as very cruel.

yes, for me, it's cruel too.. no offense too but let's just say that before we do anything to others, let us first put ourselves in their shoes..

AmyK
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
She's six.
And no, she has no idea.
And yes, my husband is aware. It was his idea.

We don't have a lot of money (1 income household here, less than 25k a year), so if it saves us money and does no harm (because it really doesn't), then that's great. Like I said, for my stepdaughter she gets so many presents on Christmas that it turns into an orgy of greed, opening presents nonstop for literally three straight hours, and she doesn't know what she gets because as soon as she opens them she tosses 'em into the pile and moves right along. No thank yous or anything.

If that's cruel, so be it. ;)

mykid
11-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Why not thank family members for their generousity, and ask them to limit the amount of gifts? If that's not an option, its a great opportunity to start a family tradition in giving to the less fortunate. Let her decide what she'd like to give away to other kids in hospitals or with no families, along with other family members. I think there is nothing more important we can teach our kids than to think of others.

I agree..:presents1:

AmyK
11-13-2009, 03:20 AM

See, we would do that but my in-laws would be offended if we asked them to limit the amount of gifts they give. I mean seriously offended; they'd probably stop talking to us. And if we gave away some of the stuff they give to SD, they'd be even more offended. They'd assume that we decided their gifts weren't "good enough" and no amount of clarification of circumstances would rectify the situation. They'd be offended either way. They'd ask to see SD play with the gifts or even borrow the gifts to bring to their own houses for SD to play with, and I'd have to say, "Oh, uh... they're ... at someone else's house..."

At least this way they're still in the house and SD does eventually get them.

Fezziwig
11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Wouldn't you be offended if you put thought into a Christmas gift for someone and then they didn't get it? More over, when they did get the gift it seemed like it seemed like it was a present from another person?

Nothing for nothing, I would stop sending gifts if I found out you weren't giving the gifts to the kids and pawning them off at a later date.

Thats just me though.

AmyK
11-13-2009, 11:39 AM
pawning them off at a later date.
I'm not "pawning them off," though. :sad elf:

I guess my point has been missed by many.

Fezziwig
11-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I guess you are giving them at a later date but presumably the grandparents, aunts, and uncles are sending more gifts for those special occasions also, aren't they? So I don't really understand putting them to the side unless you're giving them as 'Just Because' gifts through out the year.

I don't know, I guess I just don't agree.

AmyK
11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, I guess you are giving them at a later date but presumably the grandparents, aunts, and uncles are sending more gifts for those special occasions also, aren't they?
Yes, they are, but this way my husband and I don't have to spend loads of our money also on gifts for SD--gifts from us and all of the "Santa" gifts can really add up.

Like I said, we're low-income people; we're not over poverty line by all that much; we can't afford to buy gifts for SD from us AND from Santa. If I didn't do what I do, she would have to learn the truth about Santa real quick, and the hard way--when he doesn't leave any more presents under the tree.

This way she still has presents to open on Christmas morning, rather than having to wait until her grandma and aunt show up.

But if that makes me cruel, then I guess cruel I am.

steph535
11-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Amy, I don't think you are being cruel at all. When you first posted this thread, I had thought that your SD was a teen for some reason. You never said she was, but I assumed it. (Wrong on my part.) So, when you said she just opened present after present, and didn't say thank you or anything, I had this picture in my mind of a young teen with 'issues,' shall we say. So, I'm really glad that someone asked how old she was and you explained she's only 6. It sounds to me like you are doing the best job you can with the circumstances that you have. You are trying to consider everyone. You want and need to keep the peace with your SD's grandmother and aunt,you still make sure she still gets plenty of gifts, AND keep your SD's belief in Santa alive as long as possible. It sounds like her grandma and aunt, even though very generous, can be very difficult to deal with. I wonder why they feel the need to give her so much each Christmas? You say that it takes 3 hours for her to open all her gifts. To me, that seems to say it is more than just plain generosity. but, maybe I'm wrong. Now, from the grandmother and aunt's standpoint, if it were me giving the gifts, I would want them to go to your SD, but then again, I would be reasonable and accepting of your viewpoint. In my opinion, if these people would never speak to you again if you asked them to not give quite so much and explained why, than so be it. But, I know that is easier said than done.

derv
11-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I think that is so smart. Especially since time are tuff for people right now. You will always have the gifts to give.

MerryMary
11-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Actually...I'm not sure I like this. Seems a bit sneaky.

AmyK
11-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually...I'm not sure I like this. Seems a bit sneaky.
Santa Claus himself is sneaky. That's kind of a key part of Santa's being... :santa2:

Gaylemel
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey!
Personally, I think that if you and your husband agree, then this is a great way to go! I have nephews and a neice with the same situation, and I know I felt hurt when they hurtled through their presents and didn't give a toss who gave it to them, or what it was! Especially as my mother and I had spent ages trying to find something perfect for them, bearing in mind that we had no money! Luckily, one of them turned out fine, but the other two never got over the greed. So, I think what you're doing is a great idea...wish we'd thought of it! And if you can keep the idea of Santa alive for longer, fantastic! There is nothing more heartbreaking than finding out the truth about him...I remember the feeling twenty years down the line!! Good luck with the secret! P.S. tho...don't let your stepdaughter EVER read this forum!!

markgbarba1987
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
wow, that caught me offguard. heheh.. that will surely make her sad if she'll find out.

TextSanta.net
11-25-2009, 05:44 AM
uh thats not cool at all. :sad elf:

ornamentmaven
11-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Well, I think you came up with an idea thats perfect for you. The only problem is "time". This may work with her for now, but you only have maybe another year before she'll catch on! Especially since she's a girl. Girls are smart!

SnowAngel
11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Well, I think you came up with an idea thats perfect for you. The only problem is "time". This may work with her for now, but you only have maybe another year before she'll catch on! Especially since she's a girl. Girls are smart!

LOL, that's true, girls ARE smart! She'll figure it out and then you'll be busted :)

AmyK
12-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Yep! She's smart, so this probably will in fact be the last year it works. We're working on other ways to get her to be appreciative about the gifts she receives, but for now this works great!

markgbarba1987
12-18-2009, 02:22 PM
woooooo that's baddddd. heheh merry Christmas ya'll.. :santa1:

atnas
12-18-2009, 03:20 PM
:santahat: Well, very artful

Jolie
12-22-2009, 08:34 PM

You are a naughty fellow buddy.... let me tell her heloooooooooooooooooooo hes a thief of your gifts ahahahaha :presents1:

vijendrasnv
12-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Whats the secret in that.

I think this secret is only for your grandmother.

Thanks.:tree1:

mykid
12-27-2009, 06:36 AM
uh thats not cool at all. :sad elf:

Yes, TextSanta.. you saidit right!:santa1:

mykid
12-27-2009, 06:39 AM
puppies and kittens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF6mmaawyws)

:merrychristmas:

Jolie
12-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes, TextSanta.. you saidit right!:santa1:

I have seen a cute Santa placed at the top of datachristmas.com, Christmas Shopping Directory.. Such neat and clean Santas attract kids much lolzz:presents2:

jayarr
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Great idea :elf3: