PDA

View Full Version : Traditions -- when opening gifts

gandr1212
09-04-2009, 03:00 AM
We have started 2 new traditions in our lives. 1.Actually one is a carry over from my daughter- in- laws family, her grandfather started it and it meant a lot to her ---- the grandparents come to their house to watch the kids open their gifts from SANTA on christmas morning. So we all 4 showed up in PJ's with donuts. 2. The other is a family friend started -- she couldn't think of what to get everyone one year so she bought rib-eye steaks for everyone and when we open gifts we always eat grilled steaks. My husband cooks the best steaks, we have all quit ordering steak when we go out.
Do you have some different traditions.?

Gail

dougahearn
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
That sounds like a great time. I'm sure your husband makes great steaks!

Our tradition is to purchase personalized ornaments for friends and family each year around Christmas time. We try to find new ones we haven't got in previous years. We take them and decorate the tree together with the kids around the beginning of December. We have alot of fun and our friends really appreciate the ornaments they receive from us. My daughter always gets a new aniversary edition Barbie doll from my mother-in-law too. They stay unwrapped and in a safe place!

Doug

AmyK
09-16-2009, 09:16 PM
One of my favorite parts of Christmas when I was a kid was when my grandparents would come over on Christmas morning; I loved it. It's cool that other people enjoy the same tradition.

My hubby and I have only had two Christmases together so far, so we don't have a lot of traditions, but we're working on it! On Christmas morning we eat sticky rolls and watch The Ultimate Gift.

Merry Christmas Darling
09-17-2009, 04:13 AM
One of my favorite parts of Christmas when I was a kid was when my grandparents would come over on Christmas morning; I loved it. It's cool that other people enjoy the same tradition.

My hubby and I have only had two Christmases together so far, so we don't have a lot of traditions, but we're working on it! On Christmas morning we eat sticky rolls and watch The Ultimate Gift.

I like that movie. We bought it, too.

We're the grandparents in this family. Everyone comes to our house Christmas night. They've already opened gifts on Christmas morning, but they bring us gifts and open gifts from us on Christmas night.

:presents3:

olga
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Hmm.... I've never seen that.. It is a Christmas one? :confused:

ChristmasFanatic
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
When I was a kid, we never could get up and go to the tree, until Mom and Dad were up. Dad would go down and light the tree and we'd open gifts and then have hot chocolate and homemade cinnamon rolls.

My Mom and step-Dad are raising two of my nieces and nephews and so we get up early, go watch them open their gifts, have breakfast with them and then come home and open our gifts and await for the family to come, here for exchanges and lots of snacking! :yahoo:

Jingles
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
We have started 2 new traditions in our lives. 1.Actually one is a carry over from my daughter- in- laws family, her grandfather started it and it meant a lot to her ---- the grandparents come to their house to watch the kids open their gifts from SANTA on christmas morning. So we all 4 showed up in PJ's with donuts. 2. The other is a family friend started -- she couldn't think of what to get everyone one year so she bought rib-eye steaks for everyone and when we open gifts we always eat grilled steaks. My husband cooks the best steaks, we have all quit ordering steak when we go out.
Do you have some different traditions.?

Gail

i love the 2nd tradition you have. i have never heard of that haha very unique!

me and my sister used to have to wait for mum and dad to get up but now we're older we're the ones sleeping in. anyway...mum will put the christmas lights on and the heating on about an hour before i get up-she's always up early making sure the dinner is going according to plan. me and my sister will open our stockings and swap presents. then we'll go downstairs and our stuff will be on seperate chairs. me and my sister will give mum and dad their presents and we all open our things together. then we give the rabbit his presents-although he's more impressed with the wrapping paper. we got a dog this year so we'll be adding her to the present opening bit. we're very nervous about how she'll be with the christmas tree. she's unbelievably naughty so no doubt will try to pull it down!

Smokyturtle
10-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Sadly the old traditions have died off...and there is no one there to create new traditions...not at least until I can get my ex husband to allow me to have my visitation with my daughter back. (long story so please don't jump to conclusions without it please)...but I have dreams.

Particularly a warm wonderful christmas party with family, friends, neighbors, like the ones you see in the movies. Where everyone has a good time. Lots and lots of decorations, big tree covered from top to bottom in bright beautiful colors. Lots of food, fun, and conversations, gifts and things. Nothing wild, just warm and comfortable. I'm thinking I'll be living in the Smoky mountains by the time I get to have this dream...and that is my biggest dream of all.

In fact I want that for Halloween as well. Though, scarier sometimes.

"I'm dreaming of a Smoky Mountain Christmas."

steph535
10-03-2009, 04:20 AM
that sounds just lovely, Smokeyturtle. I've never been to the Smokies, but I've heard they are beautiful.

angelpugs
10-05-2009, 03:53 PM
We spend our christmas day at home my mom had started that as she felt we kids should be home for christmas and now that mom is not here i carry on this tradition in her memory.It's a nice christmas here as everyone has fun and we all have a big dinner and get stuffed which we have to wait to have dessert.:tree::merrychristmas:

XmasDVD
10-06-2009, 12:10 AM
We have our own Christmas at home and every year that we have been married (10 years on Dec 7th) we get presents from Santa on Christmas! (I buy them during lunch when at work and sneak them home and wrap them) - when my wife in the bathroom getting ready for bed on Christmas Eve, I sneak them under the tree and then we wake up to Santa presents! We have no kids and we're 'older' so this keeps Christmas fun - why can't older folks enjoy Santa too?

angelpugs
10-06-2009, 09:01 AM
That's so nice and there's nothing wrong with that it's the spirit that's in your heart as we are in our forties and have a grown son but,we still make christmas special.I'm so glad there is someone else out there like us as everyone should have in their hearts as it's about the spirit and like you i'm not ashamed to say i believe.:merrychristmas::tree:

Holiday Mom
10-06-2009, 10:58 AM
We open eachgift one by one and takethe time to appreciate what each person got and to thank the person who gave it to them. We really try to draw out the present opening.

angelpugs
10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
We have a casual morning as we have our coffee and sit by the tree and we go through the stockings and talk and then we do gifts a little at a time as we talk about the things we just opened it's a relaxing morning just enjoying being together.:christmastree::presents3:

ANGWife
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
As a kid we opened one gift Christmas eve that was from my grandmother who lived out of town.

But it's been years since that tradition. Now DH and I wait until Christmas morning to open gifts. This is our first holiday with our son, so maybe we'll start another tradition.

angelpugs
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
It is nice to start new traditions there's nothing wrong with that,it's great just being together and making those special memories that you'll always have to remember.:christmastree::presents3::santa-smiley:

Ellie
10-09-2009, 06:44 AM
We have a different tradition...we celebrate Christmas on Christms Eve. The first gift everyone gets when they arrive is a new pair of pajamas that I make; all the girls match and so do the boys, with a new pair of slippers. Everyone puts on PJ's, we light a fire in the fireplace and some candles, I'd prepare a special dinner, turn on Christmas music and we'd open our gifts. It is so beautiful to experience it at night. And, Christmas morning is spent with a nice, relaxing brunch where we all eat alot; and everyone plays with their new toys. :christmastree:

Since our daugher is now married with two little boys (and she also visits my son in laws family), we find that doing it this way is so much more relaxing and enjoyable for all. Our kids have plenty of time to spend with each family, and they have time for their own Christmas at home. Before our grandchildren were born (and since we are 3,000 miles away from New York), we'd exchange a small gift, and fly to Vegas Christmas Day (we booked way in advance for great deals). We'd have a nice dinner when we arrived, see a show and spend a few days there before the New Years crowd came (alot of fun..but I missed seeing my home decorated!)

gandr1212
10-11-2009, 02:28 AM
When the kids were growing up we always did gifts on Christmas eve, but now the men work shift work. It becomes hard to correlate schedules. Also need to consider that their in-laws like Christmas eve just as well. It does fustrate a little but I have to remember Christmas is not about which DAY - but the reason for the day and be thankful we can meet together this year again.

Gail