PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep from losing decorations & gifts between seasons?

gandr1212
08-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Today I bought a couple of new decorations. My sister says don't forget to write it on your calendar where you place them. She says after losing some gifts one year she started writing it on her calendar where she places them. That got me to thinking, Does anyone have any other method to keep track of between season purchases. I usuallly set mine in the bookcase.

Gail

Mistletoe
08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Today I bought a couple of new decorations. My sister says don't forget to write it on your calendar where you place them. She says after losing some gifts one year she started writing it on her calendar where she places them. That got me to thinking, Does anyone have any other method to keep track of between season purchases. I usuallly set mine in the bookcase.

Gail

Hmmm...I don't have that problem. All my holiday decorations are in one place, divided up by holiday and all the gifts I buy are put in another place, until I need them.

gandr1212
08-07-2009, 11:55 PM
What I was interested was the "other place" that you put things until you need them. It is inconvientent to get to the christmas storage just to put a thing or two.

Gail

MacShirts
08-08-2009, 12:51 AM

Gail

Thats actually a very good method to use for anything really. I just kinda commandeered our closet under the stairs for our Christmas supplies. I balance the newest item precariously on the giant heap and slowly close the door, as to not disturb the monster ;-)

ladyice
08-08-2009, 01:24 AM
I live by myself so it's not an issue, I usually put them upstairs in the master bedroom closet. :)

You could put them in guest bedroom closet with a sheet over them too... or your master closet and cover them up.

Mistletoe
08-09-2009, 01:09 PM
What I was interested was the "other place" that you put things until you need them. It is inconvientent to get to the christmas storage just to put a thing or two.

Gail

I have a box in the basement, right near the stairs, where I collect all the gifts I buy until I need them.

Christmasplease
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I have a box in the basement, right near the stairs, where I collect all the gifts I buy until I need them.
I am very organized with my Christmas decorations. They are all boxed according to colour. I am not as organized with hiding my Christmas gifts. I have children who are into everything. I hide them in my walk in closet, the basement, all over.

A.Edwards
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
We keep our decorations in the loft. We only have 3 or 4 black bin bags we need to empty when Christmas comes around. :gelf:

Christmasplease
08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Hmmm...I don't have that problem. All my holiday decorations are in one place, divided up by holiday and all the gifts I buy are put in another place, until I need them.

Do you wrap your gifts and then put them away?:presents2:

Mary Angeldog
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I put my year-long Christmas purchases in our guest bedroom. The smaller things go in a large basket hamper with a lid and the larger go into the closet.

gummgirl
08-12-2009, 03:53 AM
We have 3 storage spaces an outside storage and 2 closets. The gifts are put inside in the closets and the tree and ornaments are inside. They are all in plastic tubs (from Target) and with tape and a marker whatever is inside is written on the outside. If you mean keeping track of presents I get a notebook and on each page write the person's name and gifts follow. Then I either keep the notebook or it's placed in a tub.

SnowAngel
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Somehow I manage to squeeze all my decorations onto one shelf in my little closet. I have a lot of decorations because I usually throw a holiday party. As for gifts, I usually start shopping in November.

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I am very organized with my Christmas decorations. They are all boxed according to colour. I am not as organized with hiding my Christmas gifts. I have children who are into everything. I hide them in my walk in closet, the basement, all over.

Yeah, that would be hard, if people are looking. :santa: Can you put them in a box on a high shelf?

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Do you wrap your gifts and then put them away?:presents2:

Nope, just collect them. I've had people buy themselves what I've bought them, so it would be a real hassle to try and figure out which wrapped gift was no good anymore! Plus, I've made last minute switches where a Christmas present became a birthday present. :candycane1:

Christmasplease
08-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Nope, just collect them. I've had people buy themselves what I've bought them, so it would be a real hassle to try and figure out which wrapped gift was no good anymore! Plus, I've made last minute switches where a Christmas present became a birthday present. :candycane1:

Hmm, you've got a point. My kid's and Husband's birthday's are Sept., Oct., Nov. and Dec. Do you beleive it?! Also, I think I'm going to start hiding gifts in a storage area we've just clean out.:presents1:

dees473
08-28-2009, 12:27 PM
You should try some Christmas Storage Bags. They work really well and you can tell them apart from everything else, so you will not lose them

dees473
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
The best way to do it is to get some decoration or ornament storage bags. The bags are specifically marked and easy to use:dizzy::dizzy:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I have so many decorations that last year I couldn't find my large Holy Family for the bay window! I do attempt to be organized though. I keep my Hungarian ornaments in a bedroom closet.

Last April I couldn't find my granddaughter's birthday gift and I still haven't found it!

olga
09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I ve 10 big boxes where I put all ornaments and lights inside, after having wrapped them with newspapers, so that they will not break. I always write outside whats in the box and that always helps.. The tree usually goes to the guest room in its box.

I also take photos, so that next year I can remeber all my decoration, in every corner in the house..
Finally, since I was a kid, I always keep 50 lights and the ornament I love most, in my bedroom... :smitten:

MelindaB
09-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Since I am often way too lazy to climb into the attic (or it is too hot up there) I have devoted under my bed and in my closet to storing Christmas decor. Sad, I know:presents3:

tinkerbell2
09-04-2009, 06:26 PM
we keep all ours in a brick shed, all labelled so you know whats where!:santa-smiley:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I also take photos, so that next year I can remeber all my decoration, in every corner in the house..

The photos are an excellent idea! I started doing that also so I could set things out the same way again if I want to. I'm getting older and sometimes forget things.

gandr1212
09-04-2009, 11:19 PM
I have thought it would be nice if our beds raised up on lifts like the beds in the RV do. All my beds have like 8 little legs under the frame. So that ended the under bed storage I had. It would be a good idea for a guest room bed. If you didn't want a plat form bed you could just make a wood box frame that fits inside your furniture bedframe with a platform top that the mattress would lay on then it could be lifted and storage underneath. The outside would look like a reg bed. I would put a narrow border of mirror on the box next to the floor so that it wood just reflect the floor back.

Gail

olga
09-05-2009, 03:57 AM
The photos are an excellent idea! I started doing that also so I could set things out the same way again if I want to. I'm getting older and sometimes forget things.

Yeap!! I think its great to remember exactly your decoration, in every corner of the house!!!
:dance:
Come on!! This has nothing to do with age, me or you just can not remember all our decoration, thats why we choose to take photos..:smitten:
I think everybody should do something like that, if he really wants not to forget a thing...

dougahearn
09-08-2009, 05:16 PM
We simply keep all our christmas tree decorations together in the same place in the basement in labeled boxes. It get's tough to find if you don't keep them all together in one place.

ANGWife
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
We have a bench at the foot of our bed. I store all the gifts I buy over the year in the bench.

kimmy
10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
i have a massive cupboard under the stairs that i store all my gifts and decorations in. i also store my decorations in labeled boxes

onemagicalchristmas
10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
I store everything in our omputer room inavon boxes until christmas. I don't get birthday gifts for anyone but mom and dad so I spend at christmas. :santa2::waving: