PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful Christmas movie: Joulutarina (Christmas Story)

olga
07-22-2009, 07:02 AM
The plot is set in Northern Finland, where a little boy called Nikolas, loses his family in an accident.. The villagers decide to look after the orphaned boy together.

Once a year - at Christmas - Nikolas moves to a new home. To show his gratitude, the boy decides to make toys for the children of the families as good-bye presents... :presents2:

Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrt7uSLIiyk)

The film comes from Finland and was released in Greece last year.
I loved it :yahoo:

I suggest you see it... :rolleyes:

Elvira1986
07-22-2009, 07:19 AM
That sounds great, Olga. Was it spoken in Finnish or in English?

olga
07-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi Elvira. :santa1:

The film is spoken in Finnish. Personally, I would not like it in English...
It would lose all its magic..

I hope you see it and tell me your opinion.. :santa-smiley:

Elvira1986
07-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm trying to find one on ebay, but I can only find it on bluray and not on dvd.

olga
09-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Well, has anybody seen that movie?

Take a look at the trailer.. :smitten: and Im sure you will be impressed!

Merry Christmas Darling
09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi Elvira. :santa1:

The film is spoken in Finnish. Personally, I would not like it in English...
It would lose all its magic..

I hope you see it and tell me your opinion.. :santa-smiley:

The film sounds good, but I'm sorry the little boy has to go to a different family every year. Do you understand the Finnish language?

ikey2
09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
This intenet show i watch all the time talked about this movie last year. They said it was really good and it is somewhere on my Netflix que right now.

olga
09-08-2009, 11:03 AM
The film sounds good, but I'm sorry the little boy has to go to a different family every year. Do you understand the Finnish language?

I do not understang Finnish language, but the movie has subtitles, I saw it last Christmas and I really liked it. It didnt bother me that it was spoken in Finnish.

ikey2
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I do not understang Finnish language, but the movie has subtitles, I saw it last Christmas and I really liked it. It didnt bother me that it was spoken in Finnish.

Subtitles have never been an issue to me either. Since i watch a lot of J-Horror movies they are always subtitled.

olga
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Subtitles have never been an issue to me either. Since i watch a lot of J-Horror movies they are always subtitled.

I suggest you see the movie!!
Its been a long time since I last saw a real Christmas film... :smitten:

You know, I bet its gonna take a high place on your dvd shelves!!

ikey2
09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
I suggest you see the movie!!
Its been a long time since I last saw a real Christmas film... :smitten:

You know, I bet its gonna take a high place on your dvd shelf!!

Knowing the way i collect things your probaly right about that.

olga
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Here is a trailer I found, spoken in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwwHUNyVkI

I think this movie has become one of my very favorites.. :smitten:

SnowAngel
10-23-2009, 06:59 PM
That sounds like a really nice movie. I'm going to look for it. I love movies that aren't too commercialized like the Hollywood movies sometimes.

olga
10-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I totally agree with you, thats why Im sure youre gonna love it... Ive seen it 3 times so far...

:tree1:

ajfree
10-25-2009, 03:44 AM
The movie sounds exciting and I loved the trailer. As far as subtitles go I have to use them on every movie because I am deaf but...I have a cochlear implant so I do hear with one ear but it isn't perfect hearing. We go to regular movies especially on Christmas afternoon as a family. Going to a cinema helpse me practice hearing.

Please let us know if you can get this movie.

hooler
11-20-2009, 06:46 PM
thanks so much for sharing this. your tree is beautiful. and my gosh, what a sweet song!

olga
11-27-2009, 05:31 AM
The movie sounds exciting and I loved the trailer. As far as subtitles go I have to use them on every movie because I am deaf but...I have a cochlear implant so I do hear with one ear but it isn't perfect hearing. We go to regular movies especially on Christmas afternoon as a family. Going to a cinema helpse me practice hearing.

Please let us know if you can get this movie.

I can not find it in my city, but a friend of mine wrote the movie for me, so thats how I got it.. The funny thing is that after 2 years, I still can not find it in any dvd stores..

:santa:

SnowAngel
11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I see it on ebay for $8. Not bad. I should get it. I hope it's formatted for the US, it's a dvd, so I guess it should be.

olga
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I see it on ebay for $8. Not bad. I should get it. I hope it's formatted for the US, it's a dvd, so I guess it should be.

I liked it too. In fact, I adored it...
Its been years since I last saw such a wonderful Santa Claus movie.. :smitten:

I suggest this film to everyone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrt7uSLIiyk

Jordan
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Looks great! Is it available in English?

EDIT: nevermind, I read the rest of the thread. :-P

olga
07-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Looks great! Is it available in English?

EDIT: nevermind, I read the rest of the thread. :-P

Jordan, click on here (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-Story-Joulutarina-En-Julber%C3%A4ttelse/dp/B0021QH0IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311573162&sr=8-1)

xmas365
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
It is a great movie, I saw it for the first time almost 2 months ago. It is actually on Starz this month and it is dubbed into English. It was so well done my 3 year old actually watched it with me.

olga
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
That film, totally brings me into Christmas mood.
I also love, all the landscapes and of course the story that is very sweet and absolutely warming..

rambof07
05-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Really it's a heart touching movie.

olga
05-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes, I suggest to all to go and get it, its definitely gonna be on the top of your Chtistmas dvd self..

*Snowflake*
05-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I watched it this Christmas because I remember that olga was saying about this movie:elf3:

olga
05-28-2012, 02:03 AM
I watched it this Christmas because I remember that olga was saying about this movie:elf3:

Really? Did you like it??? :)

AKarp2013
06-18-2012, 06:00 AM
This looks like a pretty good movie and I would love to check it out. With no english dubs though. I'll take sub titles instead thank you. It seems fake to me if its dubbed. As one poster says "It loses its magic."

*Snowflake*
06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Really? Did you like it??? :)

it was nice,good atmosphere and has that Christmas spirit through all the movie..I didn't like that it's sad in some scenes,but overall it's lovely:elf3:

SnowAngel
07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
The plot is set in Northern Finland, where a little boy called Nikolas, loses his family in an accident.. The villagers decide to look after the orphaned boy together.

Once a year - at Christmas - Nikolas moves to a new home. To show his gratitude, the boy decides to make toys for the children of the families as good-bye presents... :presents2:

Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrt7uSLIiyk)

The film comes from Finland and was released in Greece last year.
I loved it :yahoo:

I suggest you see it... :rolleyes:

I finally saw this movie!!

MinnesotaMike
07-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I generally despise subtitles. I feel like I miss SO much visually because I'm too busy reading the screen. However, this really looks like a great movie, so I will likely have to give it a shot!

SnowAngel
07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I generally despise subtitles. I feel like I miss SO much visually because I'm too busy reading the screen. However, this really looks like a great movie, so I will likely have to give it a shot!

Actually, Mike, the version I bought was the English translation, so no reading involved.

olga
08-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Im watching the film every year, 2-3 times and I have to say that its the only movie I know that is so well related to Christmas-Santa-tradition and it has become one of my favorites..

Click on the following and watch the trailer..
Isnt great???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjB8sNfNxNw