PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas movie it seems like only 3 people ever watched :( Help me find it please!

Buzzby
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and look forward to chatting about all things festive with you :gelf:

I am, however, on a mission. I have been on said mission for... ohh, about 6 years now. And since I'm 19, that's basically my entire teenage life. What is this mission? It is to find a Christmas animated short movie that I watched as a child. I'll begin with a bit of back story, feel free to skip through my ramblings and just read the description of the movie further down if you want. I just talk too much.

I can't remember its title or the entire plot, but remember moments of it, and more importantly, remember how sentimental I got about watching it every year as a child, as part of the annual "spend December watching the same old videos over and over and getting overexcited" tradition which yes, I still hold now. It's only July, and "Blue Toes the Christmas Elf" is already on standby ;) :singing:

Anyway, I digress. Oops. After suddenly losing any idea of where this movie came from, and realising that since I hadn't watched it in a few years I had no idea where it was, at about 12 or 13 I began a hunt for it. Problem was, my mum barely remembered it. She mentioned that she'd given some videos to charity shops the previous year, but didn't know what I was talking about so couldn't tell me if it was in the pile. I was distraught. Every year since then, I've typed things into Google, ransacked my attic, asked everyone I know, and to no avail.

But then last year, I began my annual search. Having gone to Uni, I asked my new friends. My vague babblings about abominable snowmen made them laugh and assume I was being my usual odd self, but they had no idea what I meant. So I resorted to Google again and as if by magic, I found someone who remembered the cartoon. Someone 7 years older than me, and over in the USA (I'm in the UK). They were on a forum site desperately searching for this cartoon. But no-one remember it. I e-mailed this person and we realised that only me, them and their sister remembered the cartoon. So despite our joint efforts, another Christmas passed by with no trace :sad elf:

It's July now, and I'm giving myself the 4 and a half months till Advent to finally find it. So I hope you lovely people can help me! I'd be more grateful than I can say. :santahat:

SO. HERE'S WHAT I REMEMBER OF THE MOVIE.

It's from the 1980s or early 90s, and is in 2D cartoons. Not particularly high-budget. The story is hazy in my memory, but it involves some kids who live on a snowy mountain, I *think* with Santa. But there are also horrible abominable snow monsters who live in the forests of the mountain. They are big and white with tiny beady eyes hidden by a really long shaggy fringe. The children are warned to stay away from these monsters, but for some reason they end up in the woods. I think they're either rescuing someone or looking for a Christmas tree, it's so hard to remember so far back! My new-found friend in the US reminded me of a bit in which the children leave food out for a rabbit which is being chased by a fox, and another moment when a reindeer kicks the abominable snow monster's bottom and leaves a hoof print, which the snow monster sulks off to show his friends.
Another moment I remember is the children going ice-skating. They're all wearing puffy bomber jackets and hats and scarves and mittens. One of the kids is quite chubby. I think, but am not certain, that they have a dog too.
At the end of the movie/short, the children are running down the mountain away from the monsters, and the villagers scare them away. They then make a wooden sign with a cartoon of the monster's face on it with either a line through it or some other way of saying they're not allowed. I'm pretty sure there's then a moment where one of the kids alters the picture somehow, like making it squint or giving it bigger teeth or something, and everyone laughs. That's another uncertain memory though. *Sigh*

Anyway, I've written a mini essay instead of a sensible first post. Sorry all! I'm just so so so desperate to find this thing, and I've spent so long. The person I spoke to last year gave me a glimmer of hope and vice versa, but once again we couldn't have the nostalgic fun of watching it just before Christmas.

If anyone can help me, I will be quite literally forever in your debt. And I will dance around like this for about 6 days: :yahoo:

Thanks in advance!!!

B xxx

PumpkinJack81
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Buzzby and :welcome: to the forums! :waving:

I wish I could say that I know exactly what Christmas movie you're talking about, but sadly it doesn't sound very familiar to me. You've come to the right place, however, and I'm sure between all of our wonderful members here who love Christmas and all the movies and music and decorations that go with it, someone will be able to offer you some help. :gelf: I'll ask around my family and friends and see if anyone remembers it. I hope you continue to come back and post with us all and I wish you the best of luck in your search! :snowman:

Talk to you soon,
Bob, Forum Moderator :jack:

Buzzby
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Moderator, and I look forward to talking to other people as daft, merry and festive as me... as early as July. I feel like I've finally found home.

Ah, it's a shame that you're one of the millions of people who don't remember it, but yes, hopefully someone out there will remember it! I'd be so excited to e-mail the person I spoke to in the USA and tell them "Guess what, Merry Christmas, I have a gift for you" with the answer to our quest.

Thankyou for the welcome!!!

Bee x

PumpkinJack81
07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Moderator, and I look forward to talking to other people as daft, merry and festive as me... as early as July. I feel like I've finally found home.

Ah, it's a shame that you're one of the millions of people who don't remember it, but yes, hopefully someone out there will remember it! I'd be so excited to e-mail the person I spoke to in the USA and tell them "Guess what, Merry Christmas, I have a gift for you" with the answer to our quest.

Thankyou for the welcome!!!

Bee x

I think you'll be a perfect fit for our little Christmas family! :tree: Hopefully someone can offer you some help on here...

Have fun exploring the forums and let me know if you have any questions! :santa1:

~Bob, AKA Mr. Moderator (I like that title, thanks! ;))

JollyElfDC
07-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Well this is a real long shot, but by any chance do you know the studio that produced it? Even if you don't know, you might be able to guess by the style. For example the Disney, Hanna-Barbara, and Warner Brothers cartoon all have (well used to have) fairly exclusive looks. I could always tell what company it was by looking at the style of animation. The worst IMO was Filmation. They seemed to take cheap to a new unentertaining level. They're gone now. If you have an idea, you might want to start Googling the company name to find out what shows they have done.
Good Luck!

Mistletoe
07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Welcome Buzzby! :rudolph:

I thought for a minute you were going to describe a cartoon that I was remembering pieces of recently, but I'm afraid yours doesn't sound the slightest bit familiar to me. :sad elf:

The one I was remembering was a tall skinny guy who wore sunglasses (?) all the time and was a bully. All the kids were ice skating on a pond and he fell through. Even though he always harrassed all the other kids, they all made a chain out onto the ice and pulled him from the water. He was a changed person after that. I never liked that cartoon and I don't particularly want to see it again, but it stuck in my mind and I wondered why I never saw or heard about it ever. Maybe nobody else liked it either! :santahat:

Buzzby
07-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Well this is a real long shot, but by any chance do you know the studio that produced it? Even if you don't know, you might be able to guess by the style. For example the Disney, Hanna-Barbara, and Warner Brothers cartoon all have (well used to have) fairly exclusive looks. I could always tell what company it was by looking at the style of animation. The worst IMO was Filmation. They seemed to take cheap to a new unentertaining level. They're gone now. If you have an idea, you might want to start Googling the company name to find out what shows they have done.
Good Luck!

Unfortunately not, I was just a kid when I watched it and didn't pay much attention to the animation as such. I just remember it was 2D and not overly distinctive.

I'll try the company names you mentioned, do you happen to know any others I could try out?

Thanks!

Buzzby
07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm going to post this on a few other Christmas forum sites. Not that I don't love this site enough ;) I'm just so determined to find this movie! So I'm going to copy and paste it a few places and keep hoping!!!

onemagicalchristmas
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
welcome Buzzby!

Good luck with your mission. If I may suggest posting it on another site called my merry christmas I bet dvdguy can tell you the name of it. He is real informative. :merrychristmas:

Buzzby
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Dvdguy has joined the mission! With two forums to help maybe I will succeed. That would be a very nice present this year :-)

JollyElfDC
07-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Here are some places that may have produced the show you are looking for. Try Googleing and see what you can find.
Crawley Films, Krantz animation, Guest Group. Nelvana, Atkinson Film Arts,Hinton Animation Studios, Filmation, Ruby-Spears productions.
Those are all the ones I can think of that aren't as well known as Warner Brothers, Disney or Hanna-Barbara (now owned by WB)

Good luck.:candycane1:

Buzzby
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I am going to try bcdb too, I'll check out the companies you suggested :) thanks

Lostboy
08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the original RUDOLPH THE REDNOSE RAINDEER, because that was my favorite movie as a kid as well.

JollyElfDC
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Have you had any luck finding it Buzzby?

ikey2
09-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Well this has had me stumped as well. I just wonder if you have a few movies mixed up in your description. Some of it sounds like the Rankin and Bass special called The life & adventures of Santa Claus this was a book from L. Frank Baum who also wrote Wizard of oz.

Then parts of it sounds like Santa Claus is coming to town mixed with Rudolph... so i figured I would send you a list of links to almost all cartoons (http://www.toonarific.com/holidaytoons.php) and see what you can find

devoy26
09-30-2009, 11:03 AM
hi buzzby
, i just spent an hour searching the net to no avail. i checked everything i could think of including using key words such as snowy mountain and abominable snowman.
i hope you get sorted in your quest . sorry i couldnt help .
best of luck.

Buzzby
10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm beginning to think I'm going crazy! I'm disappointed that no-one has been able to offer any suggestions. It would so so amazing after all these years to put my mind at rest. The longer I'm searching, the more vague my memory gets. I'm getting more and more mixed up every year. So frustrating! I won't give up yet though.

steph535
10-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I can imagine how utterly frustrating it must be for you. I'm sure you are not going crazy. It's too bad no one in your family remembers it, let alone your fellow lovers of Christmas. I would love to help but none of it sounds familiar.

Buzzby
10-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, it is frustrating. I'm an only child, which is a pain because maybe siblings would have remembered it. My mum vaguely knows what I'm talking about, but usually I'd be watching my videos while she made dinner, so she probably never watched it all the way through.

Hmmm. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed though, I've posted here and on MyMerryChristmas so hopefully someone, somewhere will know something!!!

On a related note... yay, ten weeks Friday! :elf3:

ChantelleJoy
10-15-2009, 06:27 AM
I know this isn't the movie/show you're looking for, but the way you described your snow monstors reminded me of Hugo:

http://www.minorlooneytunes.com/pictures/hugo007.jpg

Buzzby
10-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I know this isn't the movie/show you're looking for, but the way you described your snow monstors reminded me of Hugo:

http://www.minorlooneytunes.com/pictures/hugo007.jpg

Lol! They did look similar to him, actually!

JollyElfDC
11-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I thought I'd bump this to the first page for you. Now that we are getting closer to the holiday, more people might be logging on. Hopefully a new member can help you.:waving:

Buzzby
12-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump...

dami860
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I was trying to find out the name to this as well. I know for a fact I have a vhs copy of it at my folks house. Def going to drop by this week to grab a copy of it. I'll let you know the name as soon as I do.

dami860
12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
It's called A Christmas Adventure but it's tough to find info on it because there's other movies with the same name.

JollyElfDC
12-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I hope Buzzby returns.
I'm pretty curious about this film now. I know this is asking a lot, but I could you possibly post it on you tube or something?:merrychristmas:

dami860
12-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I just watched it last night. My copy isn't the best however, I'll put it up on my website next Monday or perhaps Tuesday. In the meantime, I found a copy online that I'm going to purchase. Hopefully it'll get here before Xmas.

Buzzby
12-20-2009, 08:45 PM
BUZZBY RETURNETH! :elf3:

Oh my gosh, if you've found what I'm looking for, I am forever grateful to you and cannot thank you enough. If you could put it online so I could watch it before Christmas, it would literally be the best Christmas present I've ever received.

Wow! I'm so excited :) :) :)

Buzzby
12-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Is this what you mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-CHRISTMAS-ADVENTURE-New-Sealed_W0QQitemZ150393665139QQihZ005QQcategoryZ229 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BEcause if so, unfortunately that's not the one :(

dami860
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Nope. I'm not referring to that at all. I'm referring to the one with Joseph who is the head elf who has a dog called Wolfie. There's also the small snow monster that the kids interact with until it's parents arrive. I'm positive the one I have is what you're referring to. Anyone know if kinkos would copy to disc for me. Not sure because of copyrights.

Buzzby
12-21-2009, 05:42 AM
Oh my God, that's actually it. OH MY GOD. I am so excited. This is the best Christmas present ever. Wow!!! Any chance of you putting it online, even if it's poor quality? Also, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Because I've only ever spoken to one other person who remembered this and she was in the US while I'm in the UK. Just curious. :)

I am so excited. Please do try to put this online before Christmas, I would be absolutely overjoyed. :D

THANKYOU SO MUCH!

JollyElfDC
12-21-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm thrilled for you Buzzby! I'm so glad Dami860 has this movie!
:merrychristmas: to both of you!

steph535
12-21-2009, 06:57 AM
this is very good news. I know you have waited a long time for this, Buzzby. I am so happy for you! I hope there is a way for you to get a copy, online, or somehow.

dami860
12-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Buzzby,

I'm from the US. I'll end up putting it on my website for you because I don't know if youtube will take it down due to copyright. I wish my pc had video inputs.

Buzzby
12-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Thankyou so much everybody. This is such good news for me. I mean, I've been searching in vain for this since I was maybe 11 or 12, and now I'm 20 in March and still going crazy trying to find it! The thought that I might actually have a way of knowing I'm not crazy and having this blast from the past is just incredible.

Thankyou to everyone who's dedicated their time at any point to replying to this topic and trying to help, it really does mean a lot to me and it's amazing how helpful the internet can be, even solving a huge mystery like this!

I'm so excited! I'm bouncing up and down in my seat like a 6 year old. But then again, at Christmas, that's totally normal for me... :)

Buzzby
12-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Buzzby,

I'm from the US. I'll end up putting it on my website for you because I don't know if youtube will take it down due to copyright. I wish my pc had video inputs.

OK, thanks very much! Do let me know when it's available. I'm so excited! :yahoo:

Buzzby
12-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Sorry to be a total nagging bore, but is there much chance of it being online before Christmas? I'm visiting little cousins tomorrow and would love to share this with them!

If not I totally understand, I'm already forever in your debt for showing me I'm not insane!

B x

dami860
12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm off to my fathers house right now to drop the tape off. Not sure if he'll do it tonight or not.

dami860
12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Buzzby I offically have it. The quality is decent. I had to first burn it to a dvd then run a converter on it. Private message me your email address and I'll send you instructions on how to get it.

Buzzby
12-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Have done :)

JollyElfDC
01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
So did it ever get posted on line? I'm curious about this film and I would like to see it too. :santa1: