PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Stockings

wow
04-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Christmas Stockings for me are one of the most beautiful christmas decorations in the home. When they are personalised they show a family togetherness and unity which is really what Christmas is all about. There is nothing nicer than sitting back by the fire with the family stockings hanging over the fireplace waiting for santa. I love Christmas!! What the stockings are filled of is irrelevant

onemagicalchristmas
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree! I try to find unique stockings because I can't sew !

PumpkinJack81
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
My wife's maternal grandmother sewed each family member their own unique stocking. They are so lovely and special to the family!

Treefairy
05-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Has a child I would always get a satsuma, a chocolate orange, nuts and various cheap plastic items, such as a water pistol or bubbles in my stocking - and I must admit I loved, all these items - What did you all get as children in your stockings?

onemagicalchristmas
05-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Has a child I would always get a satsuma, a chocolate orange, nuts and various cheap plastic items, such as a water pistol or bubbles in my stocking - and I must admit I loved, all these items - What did you all get as children in your stockings?

We always got nuts, orangles, apples, candy. I don't remember getting any toys in our stockings. :tree:

Mistletoe
05-09-2009, 10:35 PM

Depending on my age, I got candy, make-up, jewelry, hair ornaments, coloring book and crayons/colored pencils, reading book, stuffed animals... I believe I got the little toys, but I can't remember specifically...

We never got fruit, but I believe my grandparents did in theirs.

onemagicalchristmas
05-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I like to find cute odds and ends to put in stockings for my family. The easiest ones are for my fur babies the hardest isfor my greats! they are all into different things!

grottogirl84
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
hey!
gosh haven't been on here since xmas!!arent i terrible!???i still love it promise!so am i missin out on much?? who's having a cheeky think about xmas yet????:carols:

Mistletoe
05-13-2009, 01:42 PM
hey!
gosh haven't been on here since xmas!!arent i terrible!???i still love it promise!so am i missin out on much?? who's having a cheeky think about xmas yet????:carols:

haha... heck, it's almost June (only 32 weeks away from Christmas), which really isn't that much time at all!

onemagicalchristmas
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I better get busy then!

MelindaB
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I used to have the best stockings in the world, and then my family grew. After 4 years of looking for matching stockings, I am finally giving up and buying new ones this year.

devoy26
10-12-2009, 07:24 AM
i bought some christmas decorations last week. got so excited when i saw the new stuff in the shops. spent a fortune. cant wait for december :dizzy:

gandr1212
10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
When my daughter was young and deciding if "SANTA" was real she caught me putting gifts under the tree. Later her conclusion was -- "I know that you buy us our christmas gifts, but I'm not sure about the Stockings". THen a few years later I let her down and forgot to fill the stockings early and got caught.

That's life

Gail

PS - I hope I didn't ruin it for some of you ! Yes there is a Santa if you want to believe it.

kimmy
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
as a child we didnt have stockings, we just had christmas sacks, but once my first child was born i brought christmas stockings to hang on the fire place and i love them, now i have another child and we all have matching stockings with our names personalised on them and they look lovely over the fireplace, i cant wait to put them all up this year, i love finding small gifts to put into them. we also have matching stocking holders that go onto the fireplace, they are similar to these
http://www.christmaspeople.com/santa-stocking-holders/24981.asp

SnowAngel
10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I have mini stockings (they're actually from Godiva). They're so cute and perfect to hang on the mantel of my fake fireplace.:home:

ChantelleJoy
10-17-2009, 10:34 AM
My mother (or was it my Grandmother?) had knit both me and my brother personal stockings a long, long time ago - we've had them for as long as I can remember, but they were so nice they were considered the Decoration Stockings. We had plain red (albeit larger, so I was happy with that) stockings, and they were always filled with chocolates, candy, little toys, Hair Things for me/Car things for my brother.

Did anybody elses parents individually wrap the stocking presents too? (I think that this was so that my mother got to sleep in more since we were allowed to open our stockings before waking her up!)

ANGWife
10-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I love shopping for stocking stuffers all year long!

angelpugs
10-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I have quilted stockings and a couple regular stockings as my mom use to wrap our stocking gifts and i still do this as it is fun.our stockings always hung by our fireplace and our tree was in the window next to the fireplace.:christmastree::waving:

ChristmasFanatic
10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
When I was a kid and even now, I've always had the red stocking with the fluffy white trim. As a kid, mom decorated my two younger brothers and my stocking with writing our names in glue and putting glitter on the name to fancy it up.

We usually got an orange, a popcorn ball, a few nuts and smaller candy in our stockings and maybe even small gifties and stuff like bubble bath or Avon items. Then, I believe I mentioned this in a different post, Mom decided she and Dad should stay home on New Year's Eve and be with us kids and as chance would have it, that year, she felt like she didn't really have much to put in our stockings, so when she and my Aunt came home from Midnight Mass, she had my Aunt write a note, as Santa, explaining he'd taken our stockings back to the North Pole and would return them on NYE. So, the tradition was born and from that time on, stockings were the highlight of NYE.

We still do this, today! It's cool, because we hit a lot of the after Christmas sales and get items that are fun and it still gives us something to look forward to.

CandyKara
10-20-2009, 12:46 AM
I wish I could sew my own stockings, I can't find what I'm looking for and won't settle!

Ellie
10-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I wish I could sew my own stockings, I can't find what I'm looking for and won't settle!

You sound like me! I'm always on the lookout for something different. What kind of stockings are you looking for?

Merry Christmas Darling
10-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Christmas Stockings for me are one of the most beautiful christmas decorations in the home. When they are personalised they show a family togetherness and unity which is really what Christmas is all about. There is nothing nicer than sitting back by the fire with the family stockings hanging over the fireplace waiting for santa. I love Christmas!! What the stockings are filled of is irrelevant

Maybe you can help me understand why Christmas stockings mean family togetherness and unity to you. I really want to understand that.

My mother's six children did not have stockings growing up and my husband and I only put up stockings a few times for our children. I never knew what to put in stockings. Older children aren't interested in cheap gifts and we couldn't afford expensive gifts. I thought, "Why spend ten dollars per stocking on something no one wants and who can spend fifty dollars times four for children's stockings?" So I ditched the stockings. Now the kids are grown. I hang two stockings. DH's stocking has little boys' toys in it. Mine has little girls' toys. The grandkids get to play with them.

We had identical stockings last year, one hung on each side of the armoire:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Displays%20in%20Our%20Home/ChristmasStocking2008-1.jpg

Ellie
10-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Maybe you can help me understand why Christmas stockings mean family togetherness and unity to you. I really want to understand that.

My mother's six children did not have stockings growing up and my husband and I only put up stockings a few times for our children. I never knew what to put in stockings. Older children aren't interested in cheap gifts and we couldn't afford expensive gifts. I thought, "Why spend ten dollars per stocking on something no one wants and who can spend fifty dollars times four for children's stockings?" So I ditched the stockings. Now the kids are grown. I hang two stockings. DH's stocking has little boys' toys in it. Mine has little girls' toys. The grandkids get to play with them.

We had identical stockings last year, one hung on each side of the armoire:

That's a cute idea with the toys. However, I'm with you. I only remember them maybe one or two Christmases when I was growing up. My mother put in fruit and nuts a few times, never any gifts. Now, my kids and grandkids don't really use them either. I hang them more for decoration than anything. I guess they would be a good place for gift cards.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-23-2009, 03:21 AM
That's a cute idea with the toys. However, I'm with you. I only remember them maybe one or two Christmases when I was growing up. My mother put in fruit and nuts a few times, never any gifts. Now, my kids and grandkids don't really use them either. I hang them more for decoration than anything. I guess they would be a good place for gift cards.

I'm not critical of those who enjoy them so much. I'm wondering if my family is really different from other families. I love them for decoration. If I put a gift card in one, I'd just hang a little stocking. But, anyway, I do think there are some beautiful stockings out there! And I can see putting candy in them or homemade cookies.

gandr1212
10-23-2009, 05:03 AM
I used to have the best stockings in the world, and then my family grew. After 4 years of looking for matching stockings, I am finally giving up and buying new ones this year.

Why buy New ? Just add to those? Use your "Perfect Ones" in one place and distribute the others out. You could let each child Pick his own then hang it on his door.

When my children got old enough to start buying each other gifts, they would buy a stocking stuffer.

Gail

SnowAngel
10-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Stockings for my family weren't so big either. The closest thing to stockings was when we celebrated St. Nikolaus Day on Dec. 6, German style. We would put one of our boots outside and the next day we would find something in it, usually a small chocolate or something.

bundles of joy
10-23-2011, 02:54 AM
I love christas and remember at school the array of differtn types of stockings friends got at christmas including some who got pillow cases stuffed full. I get my kids stockings from here now; from bundlesofjoy.co.uk website.

ornamentmaven
10-23-2011, 03:06 AM
bundle of joy - please change your font color - pink is very hard to read... and welcome!

bundles of joy
10-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Thankyou looks like I have managed to change the fontcolour now sorry about that.

MinnesotaMike
10-23-2011, 04:46 AM
When I was a kid, we all (including my parents) had red stockings with white furry tops. My mom wrote everyone's name in gold glitter on the top white part. Now that I'm a parent, we got the same kind of stockings and I made them all the same way with names and glitter. I went from being "Michael" to "Dad".

Merry Christmas Darling
10-23-2011, 07:21 AM
When I was a kid, we all (including my parents) had red stockings with white furry tops. My mom wrote everyone's name in gold glitter on the top white part. Now that I'm a parent, we got the same kind of stockings and I made them all the same way with names and glitter. I went from being "Michael" to "Dad".

I love retro decorations! When I went shopping the closest I could find was this:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20in%20Our%20Home/IMG_0296-1.jpg

But I wanted an all felt stocking with the white cuff looking like dripping snow.

ornamentmaven
10-24-2011, 07:44 AM
My husband and I have large handmade stockings. A friend made them for us about 30 years ago, when we were first married. I have the red stockings with white tops for my daughters. I also display (but don't fill)stockings for all my nieces and nephews (14 of them). They are musical, furry red and white with a mini stuffed toy attached to the front of them.

MinnesotaMike
10-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I had to lay down the law with my parents and my wife's parents. They BOTH wanted to keep putting out stockings like they have done for so many years. I had to tell them that Santa fills stockings for the boys (their grandchildren) at HOME...not at Grandma's house. They still hang stockings as decorations, but have agreed not to fill them for my sons. That's OUR (I mean Santa's) job!! ;)

nholl4
10-30-2011, 10:43 PM
About 5 years ago, my mum made all of us themed stockings, freehand!! They were so great!! They also held alot too!! I always get dark chocolate, ginger chews, oranges, a gift card for a small denomination (like 5 or 10 dollars), and socks or mittens!! I also LOVE coffee and tea, so sometimes I will get specialty tea bags, or a small bag of grounds!!:christmastree:

JollyElfDC
11-01-2011, 06:54 AM

My mother's six children did not have stockings growing up and my husband and I only put up stockings a few times for our children. I never knew what to put in stockings. Older children aren't interested in cheap gifts and we couldn't afford expensive gifts. I thought, "Why spend ten dollars per stocking on something no one wants and who can spend fifty dollars times four for children's stockings?"

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Displays%20in%20Our%20Home/ChristmasStocking2008-1.jpg

Well the way I see it, stockings are the most personal of the gifts. It's little things that show how well you know the person and went to the extra effort.For example one year I was having a Christmas dinner for my friends (most of the people in DC are from some place else) and I thought it would be nice to make a stocking for everybody.Stockings were always a big thing in my family and I wanted to share that with my friends. Every stocking had a small stuffed animal. One of my friends worked for Warner Brothers, so I gave him a stuffed frog wearing a Santa hat.It wasn't the official WB frog, but it did look like him. Another friend collects Teddy Bears, so naturally her stuffed animal was a bear. Red Skins fans got Red Skins address books etc. Everybody really appreciated the thought that went in to their stockings. I have to admit the cost of all those cheap things does add up, but I really enjoy doing it.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Well the way I see it, stockings are the most personal of the gifts. It's little things that show how well you know the person and went to the extra effort.For example one year I was having a Christmas dinner for my friends (most of the people in DC are from some place else) and I thought it would be nice to make a stocking for everybody.Stockings were always a big thing in my family and I wanted to share that with my friends. Every stocking had a small stuffed animal. One of my friends worked for Warner Brothers, so I gave him a stuffed frog wearing a Santa hat.It wasn't the official WB frog, but it did look like him. Another friend collects Teddy Bears, so naturally her stuffed animal was a bear. Red Skins fans got Red Skins address books etc. Everybody really appreciated the thought that went in to their stockings. I have to admit the cost of all those cheap things does add up, but I really enjoy doing it.

What you did was really nice and I'm sure it was appreciated. However, I was a SAHM who grew up slightly underprivileged; my father wasn't poor but after my parents' divorce, things were kind of difficult. My mom didn't understand that children like to have the kind of clothes and toys that their friends have. Both of my parents had lived through the Depression. My husband and I were living in the high income DC area and trying to survive on one income. The odd thing is that I don't think our children do stockings for their children either. I could be wrong; I think I'll ask them.

After the kids grew up and left home, I started hanging stockings mainly for the decoration. Neither one of us really cares what is in them.

Mr. Christmas
11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I like the stocking holders myself..strictly for decoration thought, last year when we put stuff in the stockings the holders came flying down...lol

JollyElfDC
11-02-2011, 12:52 AM
What you did was really nice and I'm sure it was appreciated. However, I was a SAHM who grew up slightly underprivileged; my father wasn't poor but after my parents' divorce, things were kind of difficult. My mom didn't understand that children like to have the kind of clothes and toys that their friends have. Both of my parents had lived through the Depression. My husband and I were living in the high income DC area and trying to survive on one income. The odd thing is that I don't think our children do stockings for their children either. I could be wrong; I think I'll ask them.

After the kids grew up and left home, I started hanging stockings mainly for the decoration. Neither one of us really cares what is in them.

I hope you didn't think I was some how judging you for not being in to stockings.:sad elf: What I was trying to say is some of those little things can be a lot more personal than a big gift under the tree. Mind you thoughtfulness depends on the person. I always try and put a lot of thought in to other people's gifts, but more often than not, the gifts I get are pretty generic.I think we all know the difference between a thoughtful gift and a running through the mall grabbing something gift. I don't complain or anything, but when I get a Hickory farms gift basket with sausage (one of the few foods I will not eat) I know they were just checking off a name on shopping list. That doesn't make them bad people. They just don't view Chrismas the same way as those of us the forum do.

Papa_Christmas
11-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Christmas Stockings have always been a big tradition in our family. My Mother knitted them for my sister and I as well as for many of my cousins. When I married my wife got one and as our children came along they each received one on their first Christmas. Now that my mother has passed my Daughter-in-law has taken up the task and my grandsons each have one made with the same love and care using their Great Grandmothers pattern.

At our house they have always been the first gifts of Christmas morning. They were always a great pacifier for the kids while Dad worked on breakfast and Mom made herself presentable for the inevitable round the tree present opening photos. They are as much a part of our Christmas as the tree. I can’t begin to recount the treasures that mine has held in 50 plus Christmases.

You can see in the photo that mine is faded and Santa’s fuzzy Angora beard has a definite green tint .My mother said it was due to the particular brand of yarn she used at the time. She offered to make me a replacement and since then my Daughter-in-law has offered to do the same but I wouldn’t trade that old thing for a bag of gold.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/buck1018/christmas_2009_decorations/xmas_09055.jpg

Merry Christmas Darling
11-02-2011, 05:36 AM
Christmas Stockings have always been a big tradition in our family. My Mother knitted them for my sister and I as well as for many of my cousins. When I married my wife got one and as our children came along they each received one on their first Christmas. Now that my mother has passed my Daughter-in-law has taken up the task and my grandsons each have one made with the same love and care using their Great Grandmothers pattern.

At our house they have always been the first gifts of Christmas morning. They were always a great pacifier for the kids while Dad worked on breakfast and Mom made herself presentable for the inevitable round the tree present opening photos. They are as much a part of our Christmas as the tree. I can’t begin to recount the treasures that mine has held in 50 plus Christmases.

You can see in the photo that mine is faded and Santa’s fuzzy Angora beard has a definite green tint .My mother said it was due to the particular brand of yarn she used at the time. She offered to make me a replacement and since then my Daughter-in-law has offered to do the same but I wouldn’t trade that old thing for a bag of gold.

I love traditions like that! Whose is the second stocking from the left?

Papa_Christmas
11-02-2011, 05:46 AM
I love traditions like that! Whose is the second stocking from the left?

My baby Gretchen 12 year old Weimaraner .She often sits in front of it and cries on the days leading up to Christmas .She has no patience and she knows Santa is going to fill it with a couple of new toys and goodies for her.

ornamentmaven
11-02-2011, 12:36 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/buck1018/christmas_2009_decorations/xmas_09055.jpg

Oh yes - we always used the "stockings only" line to pacify the kids when not all of the adults were ready to open gufts!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
My baby Gretchen 12 year old Weimaraner .She often sits in front of it and cries on the days leading up to Christmas .She has no patience and she knows Santa is going to fill it with a couple of new toys and goodies for her.

That's so cute. Weimaraners are a nice looking breed. I've never seen one in real life though.

Not Long Until Christmas
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree! I try to find unique stockings because I can't sew !

I agree too. Going to make one for my boyfriend this year but need mum's help with the sewing machine :(

Kelbagdon
11-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Here is a picture of the stocking my grandmother made for my son last year. I absolutely love it. The other picture is of the stocking she made for me almost 30 years ago.

steph535
11-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Here is a picture of the stocking my grandmother made for my son last year. I absolutely love it. The other picture is of the stocking she made for me almost 30 years ago.

what treasures you have there!

DesignerLynn
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
In our family we all enjoy the stockings. We get such cute little things in them and are happy!:elf2:

thomas.kevin
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
You're right Christmas Stocking is really an amazing thing to make an elegant and attractive Christmas Decoration for festive season, You can find all kind of best Christmas Stocking (http://www.123christmasonline.com/christmas-stockings/) from here for this Christmas!

See some examples of Christmas Stockings Below:

http://www.123christmasonline.com/christmasimage/15419.jpg
http://www.123christmasonline.com/christmasimage/11080.jpg
http://www.123christmasonline.com/christmasimage/25022.jpg
http://www.123christmasonline.com/christmasimage/23020.jpg

gandr1212
12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I got a new grandson in my stocking.

mina553
12-07-2011, 11:49 PM
google it u will find what your looking for its not hard to do :elf3: