PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Lights? How many strands?

alekona87
01-10-2009, 09:36 PM
What do you guys think of mixing lights? I got some multi-colored ones on clearance, and already had 2 packs of clear. (My ornaments are red & green.) My tree is 7.5 ft tall. I just got it on clearance too and I am not even sure how many lights it will need to look good. Probably more lights is better. But are there any specific guidelines? I want to get all I need right now, instead of waiting til fall and paying full price! :rudolph:

tlazer
01-10-2009, 10:15 PM
the professionals say it's 100 lights per foot:christmastree:
Also mixing lights is great . If you have clear or white lights put those in the middle.the rest on the outside.It gives the tree a 3d look

steph535
01-11-2009, 03:29 AM
they say that if you had all clear lights, you don't need as many as if you had all colored lights. tlazer is right; they do look great together like that, with both on the tree. Also, I have tried wrapping a string of multi-colored down the length of the trunk, and then put clear lights on the rest. I like to have lights throughout the tree, from top to bottom and from the trunk to the tips of the branches. I like a LOT of lights, and I have a 7 1/2 ft tree also. I *think* I put on at least 10 strings of lights, maybe even 12. but, just put on whatever looks best to you. I think most of my strings have 100 lights, each. I also like to hang ornaments throughout the tree. I even put some broken ones, (with broken side down and not showing, near the trunk because they can reflect light, too. and yes, when you put lights and decorations throughout the tree, it does give a beautiful 3-D effect.

tlazer
01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
WOW steph! from the trunk to the branches?want to do mine next year?LOL which do you like best the colored lights around the trunk then the rest clear or just colored or all clear?

steph535
01-11-2009, 06:09 AM
WOW steph! from the trunk to the branches?want to do mine next year?LOL which do you like best the colored lights around the trunk then the rest clear or just colored or all clear?
it varies; depending on my mood that year, lol. I have done all or mostly clear for the past few years, but was thinking I might have either mostly multi-colored or half and half for Christmas 2009. Oh, and since I have had an artificial tree for several years now, (the kind that you have to hook each bough, row by row) I first put up the trunk, then wrap a string of lights down it, then I attach the boughs, starting with the bottom, one row at a time, and string the lights as I go, so before I start putting the next row up of boughs on, I have the lights already on the row or layer of boughs underneath. I found it is much easier to put the lights on this way. So, the most difficult part is doing the top section, since this already has the branches attached. btw, when I say I put lights on from the trunk to the outer tips of the branches, I hope you know that I don't mean that it is all literally covered in lights, lol. but, yes, I do string them along the entire branch, as well as down the trunk. And I don't know if you read an earlier post of mine (don't remember which thread) but I also have a Christmas tree light dimmer that I plug the lights into, and with that, I can choose from 4 different degrees of dimness, the dimmest setting being more like candlelight. Hey, I just had an idea as I am babbling on and on, lol. I think I will buy a couple more dimmers, and this next Christmas, maybe I'll put clear lights throughout the tree and also multi-colored lights throughout the tree, and then if I want to turn on just clear, or only colored, or both, I can. anyway, I will find a way to do it. And this dimmer is NOT a timer, and each one costs about $20.

tlazer
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Gee Steph your good!.I'll try to remember the dimmer for next year.That's probably why I am always not too sure if I should go with clear or night.They are bright! With the dimmer I can tune it down a bit.

steph535
01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
just do a google search for Christmas tree light dimmer. click on dimango website link and you'll find the dimmers there. It is a small, white plastic box that plugs into an electrical outlet and attached to the white box is a longish, thin, green-coated wire that has a flat, bronze bell ornament on the other end. You plug your lights into the white box (I think you can plug in about 4 strings per dimmer, according to the instructions, but I only have 2 dimmers, so I plugged in more lights than it says to) then, to change the dimness setting, you just touch the bell ornament.

tlazer
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks Steph!

alekona87
01-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Thank you, tlazer! :christmastree:That helped! I went to Wal-Mart after work today and bought 400 more lights because all I had was 350 (yes, I vastly underestimated!). All they had left was the 50 ct packages though, so that was kind of unforunate, but maybe I will the 100 ct packages at a different Wal-Mart at some point in the near future. At one Wal-Mart I found 150 ct 16 function lights for only 75 cents...and I only bought ONE box!!! *slaps self*:dizzy:

alekona87
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm going to try the clear lights in the middle with multi-colored lights on the outside thing too!

tlazer
01-13-2009, 03:21 AM
alakona you will like the way it looks! OMG 75 cents! way to go

onemagicalchristmas
01-14-2009, 12:03 AM
I am not sure what color lights I will put on my green tree this year or if I will even put it up. But I would like a tree in the bedroom but hubby argues no to that. I like the multicolored lights the best though. I love lots of colors on my tree.!

MelindaB
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
the professional say 10 lights per foot NOT 100 lights per foot! You should not mix strands unless they are from the same manufacturer, and the same model aside from color. Each manufacturer's strands vary in voltage and wattage, as well as power requirements. It can be unsafe to mix.

Lostboy
08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
the professionals say it's 100 lights per foot:christmastree:
Also mixing lights is great . If you have clear or white lights put those in the middle.the rest on the outside.It gives the tree a 3d look

Ya I agree with you tlazer, the 3D look is awesome!

Donna-50
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
the professional say 10 lights per foot NOT 100 lights per foot! You should not mix strands unless they are from the same manufacturer, and the same model aside from color. Each manufacturer's strands vary in voltage and wattage, as well as power requirements. It can be unsafe to mix.

It is 100. If you put 70 lights on a tree you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Even if you put the big lights for outside I don't think 70 would be enough. I always put at least 800 on my 7 1/2 ft tree. I now have a pre-lit that has 800 on a 7 1/2 ft tree.

Kittyskyfish
09-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Melinda, I think you may have misread this source because 10 lights/foot doesn't make sense. Sorry! :confused:

I would say that 100 lights per foot is a good rule of thumb for the average tree. However, not all trees have average proportions. Some are narrow, which would require less lights. Others are very dense and have a generous diameter - and for trees such as this, more lights per foot would be necessary. Dense and large trees tend to 'eat' lights. *munch*

Or you might want more for the sake of more! 700 lights on a 7' tree wouldn't be bright enough for me. Take a look at my 7' tree (dense and large - about 60" in diameter). This one has 1600 lights on it. :)

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt296/Kittyskyfish/2007tree.jpg

Donna-50
09-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Beautiful tree.

My last tree was 68" diameter and I used about 1500. My tree now is 58" and not as full and it came with 800 which seems to work for it. That is true it all depends on the tree, but I love lots of lights.

Christmasplease
09-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Melinda, I think you may have misread this source because 10 lights/foot doesn't make sense. Sorry! :confused:

I would say that 100 lights per foot is a good rule of thumb for the average tree. However, not all trees have average proportions. Some are narrow, which would require less lights. Others are very dense and have a generous diameter - and for trees such as this, more lights per foot would be necessary. Dense and large trees tend to 'eat' lights. *munch*

Or you might want more for the sake of more! 700 lights on a 7' tree wouldn't be bright enough for me. Take a look at my 7' tree (dense and large - about 60" in diameter). This one has 1600 lights on it. :)

Beautiful tree!:presents2:

Kittyskyfish
09-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Thank you Christmasplease and Donna! :)

I really like the tip in this thread about weaving the lights as the branches are installed. The tree in this pic (Treeclassics btw) is a non-lit tree with branches that have to be individually put into holes. I'm going to try this tip because it's hard to weave lights from branch base to tip after all the branches are installed.

(Fyi - I noticed that Treeclassics did away with this type of tree. Mine is an older model. Now I think all their non-lit trees have hinged branches. )

olga
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Well, really, they do not look like 1600 lights!!! I thouht they couldnt be more than 1000!!
Anyway, nice tree my friend, I like the grees trees, too.

See Im a little traditional with Christmas..
I love red and green combination for Christmas!! In my tree, I have big red bows on.
I attach it, so, you could tell me how you like it.

:santa1:

Kittyskyfish
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Olga! Very beautiful! I love red decorations with green trees. :) My mom does her tree that way - white lights and red ornaments. Lovely!

I really like how you use lit garland around your doorframes! My house doesn't have millwork on the entranceways so I'd have to drill into the walls if I wanted to hang something. :(

olga
09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Olga! Very beautiful! I love red decorations with green trees. :) My mom does her tree that way - white lights and red ornaments. Lovely!

I really like how you use lit garland around your doorframes! My house doesn't have millwork on the entranceways so I'd have to drill into the walls if I wanted to hang something. :(

Im glad you liked it, friend! And you know, it was so difficult to do all the doorframes with the garland!! Oh God! :my lord: