PDA

View Full Version : When do you guys take down your trees?

Blue07
01-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Here comes to difficult part after all the buzz and hype of the best time of the year :sad elf: ...

So when do you guys take your trees down? Mine is still up and I still leave the lights on. I usually take it down during the first weekend of January. It's such a depressing thing to do so I tend to keep putting it off ... and wait impatiently for the excitement to mount again next year.

Ah ... what a cycle life is! I hope 2009 brings love, health, strength and peace to everyone here! :tree:

steph535
01-01-2009, 05:09 AM
thank you for your kind wishes. I put off taking mine down, too. But, usually, I take it down by January 2nd. This year I might keep it up a little longer; not sure though. Have a blessed and joyous New Year everyone!

Crazymike1965
01-01-2009, 01:38 PM
A very Happy New Year everyone. I will start taking down my trees in about 2 weeks. It will take me until the end of January to take everything down.

tlazer
01-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Normally I would take mine down on January 6 the (Three Kings) but this year I took it down the day after Christmas Because it was dead as a door nail:::sad elf:

Noel
01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
I'll wait until the middle of january, it's difficult to do this, always a sad moment !

lynnenc
01-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Middle to the end of January - outside will come down this next week on the first warm day. I am never in a hurry to take down the rest - I just love Christmas too much so will take it down in stages. The living room will be the last because I just love going in there with just the tree lights on with a glass of wine at the end of the night - there is just something magical about it all ......

Lynne :christmastree:

Blue07
01-02-2009, 03:22 AM
A very Happy New Year everyone. I will start taking down my trees in about 2 weeks. It will take me until the end of January to take everything down.

Haha! I was wondering about how long it would that you to take everything down Crazymike! :dizzy:

I think I will take my tree down this weekend. Seeing it in my living room now is a reminder that Christmas is over :sad elf:

Merry Christmas Darling
01-02-2009, 05:28 AM
My mother and my husband's parents always took the tree down on New Year's Day. I try to do that, too. But some years I leave it up a few days longer. This year I took all the ornaments off on New Year's Day and will take the tree down on January second. I'm not really sad. My smaller trees are still up in the dining room. And I leave the tree in the guest room up year round.

Thank you for your kind wishes, blue, and happy new year to you.

Mary Angeldog
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I start taking my Christmas decorations down after the feast of the 3 kings on Jan. 6. I usually finish by the middle of January since I get the Martin Luther King holiday off from work which gives me a nice long weekend to finish putting things away.

onemagicalchristmas
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Mine came down on the 27th. I took the ornaments off and hubby does the rest. I would hate to be the one to dismantle the tree! Next year we have decided to leave the tree up until the 1 of january.

Blue07
01-03-2009, 05:57 AM
The Lunar/Chinese New Year is a major celebration here and is usually in January or February (this year, it will be at the end of January). I know some people who remove all the Christmas decorations from the tree and replace them with little firecrackers and faux limes which are traditional Lunar New Year decorations. I've given that some thought but I felt it was not right. I don't feel comfortable with putting decorations other than Christmas ones on the tree :dizzy:

And in other news.... I'm still procrastinating... :santahat:

SunnySanta
01-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I will take mine down on Jan 6.

ladyice
01-07-2009, 05:49 AM
I take mine down on New Years Eve/ New Years Day.

This year I had everything down by New Years Day.

It's still so depressing once everything is put away... but it wouldn't be special otherwise Here's to 2009! I am already looking forward to it :) :presents1:

alekona87
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
We've usually taken ours down the day after Christmas or the weekend after. The rest of my family is always hot to de-decorate! lol.

Mistletoe
02-22-2009, 01:36 AM
We take ours down after 3 Kings Day. But it's a sad thing, so we all put it off and this year we procrastinated to the point that it came down near the end of January. But it was in amazing health- no needles falling off. It seemed such a shame to take it down even then! :p

PumpkinJack81
02-22-2009, 03:00 AM
We normally leave ours up until the first or second weekend in January, but since we were traveling after Christmas this year DW and I took it down the day after Christmas. It was so sad to see it down so early... :sad elf:

MelindaB
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
usually the 2nd week of January. I hate saying good bye to Christmas

hazelnut
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I would like to take mine down on the 27th, there is nothing worse than a christmas tree with no prospects lol.

but I wait and take it down on new years day usually, i like it down by the 5th jan as my children are born very close to christmas and I dont want their birthdays to blur with the celebrations, its hard enough anyway lol

onemagicalchristmas
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
welcome Hazelnut! I am leaving mine up until Janaury 1st this year. but usually we take it down on the 26th

MelindaB
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
My husband is Italian, so he likes to wait until after the Italian Christmas, which is a week into January. Last year we had our first artificial tree, so we actually kept it up 2 weeks into January, both because the tree was so gorgeous the thought of putting it away mede me sad, and because I was just too tired to face the task.:christmastree:

Christmasplease
08-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Normally I would take mine down on January 6 the (Three Kings) but this year I took it down the day after Christmas Because it was dead as a door nail:::sad elf:
Hi, can you tell me what the Three Kings is?

MacShirts
08-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Everyone forces me to take it down mid January...I was lazy one year and left it up past Valentines, and they practically had an intervention. "We're worried about you, please take down the tree." I suppose I didnt have to keep it plugged in but... :gelf:

gummgirl
08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
I live with my grandma and she likes to take it down the day after Christmas! She says it takes up too much room.

MacShirts
08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Haha that's how my grandma is, I always tell her to leave it for at least a week because she always has the best tree, but nope. I guess that's how grandmas are ;-)

Mistletoe
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Everyone forces me to take it down mid January...I was lazy one year and left it up past Valentines, and they practically had an intervention. "We're worried about you, please take down the tree." I suppose I didnt have to keep it plugged in but... :gelf:

That's funny! :santahat:

SnowAngel
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM

That's too funny. I got a little lazy and left a couple of things up until March.

Christmasplease
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I am constantly asked when the tree is coming down once Boxing Day arrives.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 05:44 AM
That's too funny. I got a little lazy and left a couple of things up until March.

I think my family would have me committed if I did that...or if they knew I was a contributing member of this board...jk :p

Christmasplease
08-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I think my family would have me committed if I did that...or if they knew I was a contributing member of this board...jk :p
My family would have me committed too. Actually my daughter knows and thinks I'm koo, koo.

MacShirts
08-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Haha oh well, we are a little "koo koo" but I think the retailers are to blame! We made a trip to hobby lobby and they already had trees ornaments wreaths everything xmas up already...it was neat :D

kaddyjatou
08-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I take my tree and decs down normaly 2nd jan! I know that is kind of early, but, I have had them up since the 1st of dec lol also I put gypsyphilia(sp) in my tree it looks like snow on the edges of the branches, very pretty! and by then it has just about dried out!

ikey2
08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I prefer to take the tree down about 15th of January. However if it was up to me, my tree and other decorations would stay up all year along and be changed around a little at a time.

Christmasplease
08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Haha oh well, we are a little "koo koo" but I think the retailers are to blame! We made a trip to hobby lobby and they already had trees ornaments wreaths everything xmas up already...it was neat :D

Wow, I can't say I've seen anything Christmas here yet. It's just Halloween stuff right now. I will start going nuts once the Christmas stuff comes out. I've already been informed that the Sears Christmas Wish Book is out so that's on my to do list.:yahoo:

MacShirts
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Wow, I can't say I've seen anything Christmas here yet. It's just Halloween stuff right now. I will start going nuts once the Christmas stuff comes out. I've already been informed that the Sears Christmas Wish Book is out so that's on my to do list.:yahoo:

Yep I even took a pic of all the trees they had displayed, must have been 15 to 20 easy. Just curious, where do you get the Sears book?

Christmasplease
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Yep I even took a pic of all the trees they had displayed, must have been 15 to 20 easy. Just curious, where do you get the Sears book?

Sears usually delivers the Wish Book directly to your house if you order regularly from them. I called and they said I may not get one because I didn't order enough. They are available in the stores the first week of September.
:dance:

I go nuts when that Catalogue comes out. That's the beginning of the Christmas season for me!:yahoo:

MacShirts
08-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Oh I see, thats why I never got a book from them, I dont ever shop at sears. Although, come september, I'll stop in and grab a copy, its always fun to see what the "hot" gifts will be this year

Lostboy
08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I take my down the weekend after new years. Have done that since I was a kid :)

Mistletoe
08-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I am constantly asked when the tree is coming down once Boxing Day arrives.

Boxing Day? Bah Humbug!

tinkerbell2
08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
we take ours down on the 2nd of jan,but it does go up on the

1st dec:dance:

yvette

olga
08-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I prefer to take the tree down about 15th of January. However if it was up to me, my tree and other decorations would stay up all year along and be changed around a little at a time.

I couldnt agree more!! :candycane1:

Shanniclause
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
:christmastree::christmastree::christmastree:

Ours goes up the weekend following Thanksgiving and comes down Mid January.

Like a lot of you, in a perfect world my tree would stay up all year long!

olga
09-01-2009, 04:21 PM
In my house, I tell my dad to come and do it, become I get really sad and I just do not want to be there...

Im such a child...

Christmasplease
09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
In my house, I tell my dad to come and do it, become I get really sad and I just do not want to be there...

Im such a child...

You're not a child, I totally get what you're saying:gelf:

olga
09-02-2009, 04:56 AM
You're not a child, I totally get what you're saying:gelf:

And the funny is that my dad finish before I get back from work..
Then, he cooks something and waits for me to come home. He knows that Im sad and stays home till late, talking to me about irrelevant things..

:smitten:

The house looks so empty, though...

Christmasplease
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh my gosh, that is so nice. If my Dad were here, I know he would do that for me too. Cherish your parents.
Christmas just means so much more for some of us. That's just the way it is, and there's nothing wrong with that.:smitten::santa-smiley:

dees473
09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
:candycane1:It's always been a tradition in my family to take ours down on New Years day or it's bad luck. I don't know where it came from, but that's how we roll

olga
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Oh my gosh, that is so nice. If my Dad were here, I know he would do that for me too. Cherish your parents.
Christmas just means so much more for some of us. That's just the way it is, and there's nothing wrong with that.:smitten::santa-smiley:

I knew you would understand me!!!! :smitten:

Elvira1986
09-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Im such a child...

That is actually very sweet I think. Also very nice of your dad to do that.

olga
09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
That is actually very sweet I think. Also very nice of your dad to do that.

Thanks Elvira..
You know, he really touches my heart, every year... :santa-smiley:

Christmasplease
09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks Elvira..
You know, he really touches my heart, every year... :santa-smiley:

You are very lucky Olga. :santa:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-03-2009, 04:11 PM
My main tree goes up as early as possible and is taken down when I'm embarrassed that it's still up(usually mid January). The tree in the guest room stays up year round.

ikey2
09-03-2009, 04:43 PM
My main tree goes up as early as possible and is taken down when I'm embarrassed that it's still up(usually mid January). The tree in the guest room stays up year round.

NO reason that you should be embarrassed for having something you enjoy.

Sweet, I just notected that I am now a Nuaghty and nice list keeper. ROck on

tinkerbell2
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
NO reason that you should be embarrassed for having something you enjoy.

Sweet, I just notected that I am now a Nuaghty and nice list keeper. ROck on

you've been one for a while:yahoo:

XmasDVD
09-04-2009, 02:35 AM
We set up for Christmas on 'Black Friday' (day after Thanksgiving) and leave everything up for about 1 week after New Year's Day

devoy26
10-07-2009, 04:57 PM
we set up our stuff on the 1st of december and take it all down after the 6th of january.

sadest day of the year for me.:christmastree:

olga
10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
we set up our stuff on the 1st of december and take it all down after the 6th of january.

sadest day of the year for me.:christmastree:

Well, I cant imagine putting the tree up on the 1st of December... :gelf::gelf:
I always put it up the first day of Novenber and inside me, I think Im already late!!

:candycane1::candycane1::candycane1:

ANGWife
10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Usually the day or two after Christmas. Since we put it up on Black Friday we are anxious to take it down.

Kittyskyfish
10-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Let's see...trees go up starting in early November and go down sometime in January. If not, I end up taking it down during the Superbowl!!! *heheheh*

steph535
10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I probably already answered this last year but, here goes. I start putting up our trees either Thanksgiving night or the day after and I usually take it down (to the complaints of my youngest son) by January 2nd.

ChristmasFanatic
10-08-2009, 11:46 PM
We go get ours on the Saturday of Thanksgiving week and take it down any time from 28 December to 31 December, depending on how dry it is. :christmastree:

Ellie
10-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Well, I cant imagine putting the tree up on the 1st of December... :gelf::gelf:
I always put it up the first day of Novenber and inside me, I think Im already late!!

:candycane1::candycane1::candycane1:

You are not alone...halloween decorations on the outside, Christmas on the inside!!

My final tree finally came down in um...March. I have a very patient husband. (Sometimes)

olga
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
You are not alone...halloween decorations on the outside, Christmas on the inside!!

My final tree finally came down in um...March. I have a very patient husband. (Sometimes)

Hello there!! Well, I see there is another one, just like me.. :elf1:

Have yourseld a merry little..... :welcome: my friend !!

:tree1:

kimmy
10-11-2009, 06:57 AM
i take my christmas tree down on the 6th jan, i hate it the house looks bare, :elf2:

olga
10-11-2009, 06:59 AM
i take my christmas tree down on the 6th jan, i hate it the house looks bare, :elf2:

Yes, I think the day we take the tree down is the worst one ever... :sad elf:

tinkerbell2
10-11-2009, 06:59 AM

i'am with you there, it does look so bare after all the time the things have been up:sad elf:

Ellie
10-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Hello there!! Well, I see there is another one, just like me.. :elf1:

Have yourseld a merry little..... :welcome: my friend !!

:tree1:

Hi Olga!... Thanks! All this time, I thought I was the only one. :yahoo:
It's so nice to be among people who understand.

olga
10-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi Olga!... Thanks! All this time, I thought I was the only one. :yahoo:
It's so nice to be among people who understand.

Of course you're not the only one, my dear!! :tree1:

Well, this is for you, one of my fav videos... :yahoo: hope you like it, too!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFcXimZ-9gc

kimmy
10-12-2009, 10:54 AM
i'am with you there, it does look so bare after all the time the things have been up:sad elf:

i no its so depressing :sad elf:

Ellie
10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Of course you're not the only one, my dear!! :tree1:

Well, this is for you, one of my fav videos... :yahoo: hope you like it, too!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFcXimZ-9gc

I love it! Goodness, that brings back memories...

* * * * :smitten: * * * *

Haven't seen that in years! Thank you!

Christmasplease
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM

You are so lucky your Husband is that patient. Mine is begging for mine to come down he day after Christmas. I refuse to take it down until the wknd. after New Years.:rudolph:

lighting lady
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Here comes to difficult part after all the buzz and hype of the best time of the year :sad elf: ...

So when do you guys take your trees down? Mine is still up and I still leave the lights on. I usually take it down during the first weekend of January. It's such a depressing thing to do so I tend to keep putting it off ... and wait impatiently for the excitement to mount again next year.

Ah ... what a cycle life is! I hope 2009 brings love, health, strength and peace to everyone here! :tree:
I leave mine up until the day after New Years. My husband thinks that's even to long, but not me!

Ellie
10-13-2009, 02:26 AM
You are so lucky your Husband is that patient. Mine is begging for mine to come down he day after Christmas. I refuse to take it down until the wknd. after New Years.:rudolph:

Mine used to be like that too; years ago (we've been married 29 years). On the other hand, I do all the decorating on my own and I take it all down too. If he said anything, then he'd be helping!

:elf1:

(p.s. He knows my new Christmas stash is accumulating in the dining room. He won't even go in there.)

JollyElfDC
10-14-2009, 02:30 AM
I think a tree has to stay up until the New Year. JMO

steph535
10-14-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm with you, JollyElf. but, my best friend gets sick of her Christmas stuff and takes it all down, right after Christmas dinner! can you even imagine that???

JollyElfDC
10-14-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm with you, JollyElf. but, my best friend gets sick of her Christmas stuff and takes it all down, right after Christmas dinner! can you even imagine that???

She must be a light eater! Every Christmas dinner I remember everybody is dog tired and to full to move. Where does she even get the energy?

steph535
10-14-2009, 03:35 AM
yes, I suppose she is. Also, she is just itching to get the Christmas stuff all put away because she says she just wants her house back. And the thing is, her decorations are SO lovely. I just don't get it at all. My family is like yours, we are all stuffed and sleepy after dinner.

ChantelleJoy
10-14-2009, 04:44 AM
I usually leave mine up till the first weekend after New Years, sometimes later. I like having it all up, but is a big hassle packing everything away. :(

I've known people who take the trees down between Xmas and New Years, and once in a while I've been known to leave my tree up well into February (gasp!) hahaha.

:christmastree:

amymcdonald_xx
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
we put ours up twelve days before and take them down twelve days after :D :home:

Shanniclause
10-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Usually take ours down near the middle of January.

My wife always wants to take it down sooner, but I always win that battle! :tree1:

brittd19
10-17-2009, 05:08 AM
usually the first or second week of january..my mom takes it down...
It's so depressing=[

mina553
11-08-2011, 09:03 AM
b4 jan 6th we did it as kids so it just stuck with me

StacySmith
11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
The record for me was a few years ago... I took it down on Easter! LOL...not by choice, however.... my dad got really sick (he's ok now) and was in the hospital for February and March - so it just wasn't on my priority list. Thankfully it was fake, so no fire hazard. At that point, I was tempted to just throw a sheet over it and leave it!

ornamentmaven
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Ist weekend after New Years

MinnesotaMike
11-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Ist weekend after New Years

this

baumgar
11-09-2011, 02:37 AM
No way!

Home alone 2
11-09-2011, 02:47 AM